Chapter 17

"How can we preach, when all we make this world to be is a living hell torturing our minds. We all must unite, to turn darkness to light, And the love in our hearts will shine."

~ Michael Jackson

***************************************************************

Michael's eyes widened in surprise when he spied Tony staring them down from across the auditorium and all he could think about was smashing his fist into that smart-ass expression on his face. When Tony flipped them off and turned to walk away, Michael saw red and became completely consumed with a rage, the likes of which he had never felt before!

He immediately sprang into action and before anyone could stop him, he was through the swinging backstage doors, running full speed down the hallway after Tony. Michael was so hell-bent on getting to him that he didn't pay any attention to, nor did he care at the moment that Jimmy and Kevin had followed and hollered at him to stop. He was on a mission and God help any person who tried to get in his way!

***************************************************************

"NO! MICHAEL STOP!!" I screamed at the top of my lungs.

My voice seemed to echo off the walls of the now empty hall of the auditorium. Michael never slowed in his pursuit of Tony and disappeared through the swinging backstage doors with Jimmy and Kevin trailing close behind him. I stood in complete shock and indecision for a moment, then before I could think better of it, I took off after them. The long evening gown and high heels I was wearing severely hampered my ability to follow with any real speed, but I couldn't just stand there and do nothing!

Michael was in a rage and all he could think about was getting at Tony for all he had done. I had to get to Michael before any of the dozens of reporters covering the event were alerted to the situation. They were everywhere outside and if they realized that anything like this was happening, they would be all over it. 

The sound of my heels clicking on the concrete floor echoed eerily as I ran down the long backstage hallway. When I arrived at the end, there was a short flight of stairs then a small landing with another flight of stairs leading up to the floor above. "Michael!", I yelled out frantically once more.

No one responded to me immediately, but I heard Michael's angry voice coming from the floor above, shouting at someone. I put my foot on the first step leading up, when Kevin peered around the corner and yelled down to me, "Cassandra, don't come up here! Stay where you are!"

I yelled back, "Where's Michael?! Is he okay?!"

I heard more scuffling from above, then I heard something, or someone hit the wall....HARD! I just couldn't stand there helplessly, I had to see for myself that Michael was alright! I looked up and saw Kevin coming down the stairs toward me, but I was not about to be dissuaded by anyone. I had to get to Michael!!

**************************************************************

Michael heard the security guy's heavy footfalls behind him as he rounded the corner and took off up the stairs, taking two at a time. He glanced up just in time to see Tony round the corner above him. Michael got to the top of the stairs and reached out with his long arms to grab him by the collar of his tuxedo jacket. He shouted, "Tony, you coward! Turn around and face me like a man!"

Tony spun around and sneered angrily at Michael, "Fuck you, man!"

He swung his fist in an attempt to hit Michael, but he was way too fast...deftly dodging Tony's fist and countering with a blow of his own. Kevin and Jimmy arrived on the scene just in time to see Michael's fist connecting with Tony's jaw and send him reeling, slamming against the wall with a loud impact. Before Tony could shake it off, Michael grabbed him by the front of his jacket and smashed his fist into Tony's face again, sending a spray of blood flying through the air along with a few teeth. Michael drew back to hit him again with the intent of not ceasing until Tony lay in a motionless heap at his feet when he heard Cassandra's voice coming from below.