"What is the bucket for?" I question.

He coughs. "I can guess it's for peeing. So...do me a favour and....face the wall." I blink. "Kusikiliza, listen, just turn away, please. And cover your ears." I do as I am told and can't hear anything. I do not know how long I sit like that, but turn around when he taps my shoulder. "Thanks."

"Don't thank me. I'm the evil one here. Please. Don't say otherwise." A shadow passes over him.

"Yes. This is your fault."

The dishes have piled up in the corner. The bucket is stinking. I cannot move at all. It hurts to talk. They tortured me, beat me and thrashed me, especially the Zima, in the past few days. The whip didn't leave her hands and in my dreams, she is a demon. An evil, horrid demon who has no mercy. My face is swollen, Heros says. His injuries are getting better already, but he has lost some weight; his cheeks are a little hollow and his wrist is thinner.

"I need water," he croaks. His portions are decreasing day by day. I asked them to let him go, but they didn't listen. They never did. He picks me up and walks me to the corner and lowers me gently. Then, I hear the metallic sound and the flow of water as he swallows it. His hands are under my chin and the cup is brought to my lips. "Drink this for me. Just once. Please." I shake my head and purse my lips. It is useless. Water won't heal me. Besides, he is in dire need of it. "Please! Azura!" He says my name for the first time in...who knows how many days. I open my mouth and the liquid streams in. It's a nice taste and my bodily glow flickers and is brighter, but my pain is still the same. "See? It helped!"

"A little," I susurrate. My voice sounds frail and weak. I want to get out of here.

"Azura, I hate this. I really do. I-" his voice cracks. "I want to see my family. My mother, father, grandparents, cousins. I want to go home. I miss them. I want to be in their arms...warm, safe, happy and healthy." He is sobbing now. I push myself off the ground, finding the sudden energy to console him. I hug him and hold him. I don't know who is supporting whom, but all I know that it's keeping us sane and that I like the feeling...a lot.

"Can I ask you something?" Heros asks me after a long time. I am still holding him and I don't let go. Instead, I nod. "Why are you fighting for me when no one else cares?"

I laugh. "Besides the fact that I got you into this mess? It's because I have a disability."

"Disability? What?"

"To love. I can feel emotions...I can love...I have a heart."

"You mean that others don't? I thought...you protect us all. How do you do that without a heart."

"A soul that's drawn to goodness. We aren't as bad as the demons." I shudder at the thought of them.

"But...why is love a disability! That's the best thing. To care for someone else...to give that person everything just to make him or her happy. That's love and....it's not a disability! You aren't disabled."

"I may not be disabled to you, but to them, I am the weirdest Skiel out there."

"Loving.....that's kept me alive, Azura," he said, looking right into my eyes. I nod, turning away shyly.

    ~~~

"When I was little," Heros is saying, "I used to climb up on trees and then yell at people walking by. They used to look up, confused, trying to find the source of the noise. It was funny. Their brows furrowed, noses scrunched. Like this." He mimics the expression and I giggle. "Oh, there's more where that came from. I was the naughtiest child. My mother used to punish me at least twice every day for my shenanigans." He smiles at the memory. "Once, I stole bread from the baker and he was so angry, he chased me to my house!" I laugh.

"What's bread?"

"It's a type of food. You know what? Once we get out of here, I'll take you out to eat bread!" Then he chuckles. "It would be a fun day."

I smile at him. So this is the real Heros. Happy, cheerful. Not afraid, angry or broken. I wonder what I am to him? Does he think of me as fun? I don't have stories to tell. I don't have experiences to share. I can only say what I know about the Zima, who had been the only Skiel in my life to understand me. How wrong I had been. She just wanted to use me. She saw me as a weakling and ordered me around, and I blindly did it, all because I wanted to get into the Throng. It felt stupid. What a dumb purpose to live for. Heros wanted to live to save lives. I wanted to kill.