Math homework at the Coopers

"C'mon Jug, you know this," Betty entreated me. I glanced down at the paper that she had jotted down an algebra problem from our textbook on, and sighed. "Betty, I still don't know the answer."

She got up from her chair to her kitchen counter and reached into a tin and passed me another freshly baked chocolate chip cookie. I assumed she was bribing me to hold on a little longer with the homework practicing by feeding the god of my stomach.

She sat back down next to me at the dining room table in the Cooper abode. "I just showed you how to solve the last problem. This one is just like it, only with different numbers! You've got it! Just give it a try."

Surrendering to her pleadings and the lure of cookies, I took the paper from her and began working out the problem, looking at Betty's neat step-by-step process for reference. Looking up with my mouth full, I said tersely, "Got it."

"Let me see," She reached for the paper, looking it over to check my work. From time to time I saw her squinting her eyes, and looking closer at my paper. "Well, your solution is correct!!! Great job! Let's do another one!" She gave me a new sheet of paper.

"How can you read my scribbles, Betty? You're smart, pretty, know to bake, and you understand me. You truly are Wonder Woman!"

She blushed and her eyes darted to mine before looking down shyly, I assume it was because of my compliment. I secretly regretted saying that. Was that revealing too much of my true feelings for her?

After a brief moment of silence, Betty confessed, "I actually can't read your handwriting very well. I said that the solution was correct, I'm not sure about your work."

I found my eyes creeping to hers. I didn't always make eye contact with people when talking with them, it usually made me nervous. But with Betty, I couldn't keep my eyes from wandering from her slightly flushed cheeks to her bright blue eyes, and when she looked up at me, the connection didn't seem uncomfortable. By that simple contact, I felt this boldness growing in me. Was this what Jellybean meant by 'making a move?'

Betty cleared her throat, and asked, "You're not mad are you?"

"What??" I pulled a face, very obviously confused. What in the world did she think I would me mad about?

"That I can't read your writing. I'm sorry, it's just a little messier than my Mom's for example. I mean, you know how much of a neat-freak she is."

"Oh. No I'm not mad, why would you think that?" But I knew. She was not feeling the moment that our eyes met like I did. Apparently she thought I was staring her down because I was upset about her comment about my handwriting. Little did she know that I was lost in her eyes. Even her eyes looked sweet and innocent!

Changing the subject to clear the awkwardness, Betty said, "Archie told me a math joke yesterday. Wanna hear it?"

"Sure." Of course Archie told it to her. They were soulmates. Archie and Betty, Betty and Archie. Best friends forever. Not Jughead and Betty. Jughead is a weirdo who isn't good at math. He can't get a girlfriend to save his life, because he has no moves.

"Dear Algebra, please stop asking me to find your X. She's gone, don't ask me Y."

I burst out laughing, despite myself, as did Betty. We sat there, just laughing for a long time. As soon as we stopped, she commented, "It's a lame joke, I know. I think we're slap happy. You probably have to get back for dinner, don't you, Jug?

"Actually, no. My dad's out tonight, so I'll just be home alone. Gotta figure out something to eat. Maybe I'll hang out at Pop's, and he'll give me a burger out of pity."

"No, Juggie," Betty said, sounding horrified at my plan. "You'll stay here for dinner. I'm sure my Mom and Dad won't mind."

Just then, Alice and Hal Cooper walked into the dining room. "Betty, are you almost done with your student? Dad and I are heading out for dinner tonight."

"Mom! Jughead's my friend, remember? Not my student. We're just working on some homework together, and I was thinking that maybe Jug could sta..."

"I'm just leaving, Mrs. C. Thanks for your help, Bets." I cut in. I didn't want Betty telling her parents about her intentions of keeping me for dinner. Alice and Hal would be gone, and would never let Betty be alone in her house with a boy, especially a boy like me. I knew what Mrs. Cooper thought of me. Mr. Cooper didn't mind me so much, but I could tell that Alice Cooper hated me. She always looked me in the eyes with those piercing eyes of hers, and it felt like that deep blue cut straight to my soul. I found myself comparing Alice to Betty, they looked so much alike, except Alice was sharper and meaner.

Giving a pointed glare at me, Mrs. Cooper turned her gaze to Betty and said, "Polly's also gone, sweetie. She's with that...NASTY Blossom boy. They're going to Pop's for supper, then she should be back after that. Unless that Blossom devil keeps her longer, and if he does, I'll have to..."

"Mom, his name is Jason, and don't worry about Polly, she'll be fine. I'll be fine too, you don't have to be nervous about me staying home alone. I'll be okay."

"Oh, I know you'll be okay, sweetie, Auntie Jane will be over to watch you until Polly gets back. She'll be here in half an hour. That was the soonest she could come on such short notice."

I had been just about to walk out the door to leave, but upon hearing this, I knew I had to do something. I kept the door open, trying to decide to stay or leave.

Betty started to give a protest, saying, "Mom, don't you think I'm old enough to stay by myself, I'm 14!"

But Alice cut her off. "Polly grew up too fast also. Honey, Dad and I won't be home until late tonight, we've got an important article that needs extensive research, and who knows when that sister of yours will be back. Auntie Jane will take good care of you."

"Love you Betty," Hal said in parting. "Bye Betty, love you sweetie," came Alice's voice.

I was spurred into action, and practically flew out the door, knowing I would get it from Alice if she knew I hadn't left yet. I made sure to shut the door very quietly, and jumped into the bush right outside of the door.

I was just in time, because Alice and Hal walked out the front door, just as I was situated in the bush.

I had to do something, I had to get her out of being babysat by her miserable aunt, but I needed a foolproof plan. I wasn't going to let Betty get in trouble on my account.