Lots of Love to Me, Happy Birthday to Me!

They say, 'Legends are born in October' and 'Leaders are born on the 1st'
This alliteration turns my birthday into a special tale, a tale worth writing for...

I recall how lazy I was even coming out of the womb, doctor told her if not in two minutes baby come out, I'll never be able to do so. Nah! My cerebrum does not recall that, it's mother's one of the handful of moments where she speaks what she intends not to tell.

But, that's not it, hardly had my aunt phoned my grandpa about the arrival of one more member in their family when he asked if she was fair. Yup, he, the grumpy, old, lovable man asked if I  was white or semi-white. Good luck to him and his health I was white, white like snow just like my other siblings, my mother, her siblings, their father, his ancestors, and so on... Though the color fade away with time, certain things never really changed like my obsession with birth dates...

And truth be told, I had never liked my birth date as a child. 'Cause my siblings shared their birth date. I was the only one there who could never reply to a birthday wish a 'same to you' I mean God was turning mean day by day. It wasn't like he couldn't send a twin with me, a sister was fantabulous but I could have even settled for a brother too. Or someone lazier than me with a gap of years but on the same date, the same month. But, he never listened, and 'thank you' was the only reply I could give.

With a drift in time, I learned to appreciate the uniqueness in it and started being proud of it. The date, the day, the month, and the year were blessed to have me. A pure fantasy of a teenager till today, the 15th birthday of mine.

But, today's alarm was different. There were gentle nudges and hushes of my name. A little bit of hustle and bustle and no trace of that particular shrill 'Wake up, Wake up' sound due to pushing the sound level to its height, it was very pleasant and astonishing. As soon as my eyelids detached from my pupils and flickered to adjust to that dim blue light in the room, my pupils dilated catching a whitish thing afloat in the air. I jerked up right away and caught it like my Kindle from the first floor. It was expected yet managed to send my mind to cloud nine. It was a poem written to me by my mother. She writes poems and articles in newspapers as a hobby besides her job. I squealed, it was mesmerizing. All I could do was embrace her as tightly as I could.

'Ahem' was supposed to be a decent little cough attracting attention but its haplessness made it a lot more messier belonging to no other than the little sis of mine, Sumu, her pen name. She slowly removed her hand from her back like a witch taking her hidden wand and lo! To my wonder, it was transformed into a gift packed with glitter paper, so neatly and creatively. No sooner did I remove that paper cautiously than squealed that our neighbors too up there had surely been woke up. Those were color pens I was planning to buy every day but never bought as every time I found my laziness remembering how much effort it takes to descend from your two-wheeler, go towards the shopkeeper, ask it, pay the bill, take it and again ride the vehicle,... What a hectic thing to do!

The same thought crawled into my mind when we were heading to the town where we go every year to the temple of goddess Renuka as a ritual in navratri, the auspicious nine days when goddesses are worshipped. But this year we were late by two days as mother was out of town for the farewell of her brother who once again was going to the U.K. So, my birthday was the lucky day when my parents decided to go.

The whole journey was awesome. It also managed somehow to exercise me and bring me out of my comfort zone. There's a small lake on the premises of the temple. Fear crept inside me but had to at least dip my legs in it. Mother would've been agitated if I didn't do so. But yet pushing my phobia aside it somehow felt good. A tingling sensation started creeping inside when the water as smooth as pashmina started caressing my leg softly. Delicately I removed it and started climbing stairs watching those feet shine brightly in the sunlight. With a curve on my face, I entered the temple. There wasn't much crowd thus, we were in front of that mesmerizing and awesomely beautiful monument of Mother Renuka, our nostrils flaring with every breath mingled with those special essences filled everywhere, that place made heaven ashamed.

Have I mentioned that sometimes quarreling takes top in my hobbies? If not then like you, that fragile lady inside there too didn't know it when I quarreled with her for she, the forgetful creature had forgotten to give me 'tambul', goddess' favorite refreshment. How could I let it slip when it tastes so so so amazing? So, I fought for my right and achieved it. After our mouthwatering breakfast, I ate it thinking that now my hardships are over and I can go home and snore peacefully tangling myself into sheets but hell no! My goody good parents thought that it would be great if we explore some more. Means more time outside with more sleep in the eyes and a more annoyed look on the face. But they never noticed in excitement how I am lucky that we all are free on my birthday spending time with each other. How could I scream that I would rather spend time just laying on my comfy bed alone when my words stumbled somewhere inside seeing mirth evident on their faces?

Their plan wasn't bad either. It managed to give me enjoyment, relaxation, and a spicy new change in my daily messy routine. It was on top of a hill situated in the heart of many farms covered with lush green beauty, another temple. Religiousness was not my parents' thing but that indeed was a different day. They wanted me to get blessed and I got some but not from the small temple but from the outside breathtaking view, the endless sky just about to embrace the earth and the calm water collected in the lake crystal clear from meters away, the soft silent breeze playing mischievously with our hair locks running here and there like a kid stealing our worries away. Sitting there, I felt blessed! We did a little photoshoot and headed to come back. At least that's what I had thought.

No one in the world was as enthusiastic as parents that day. On the way back they telepathic and got the same idea at the same time. The superb idea of visiting one more place as it was very much on the way. And there we were heading towards their place watching the river flowing with our pace. It was beautiful with that white water constantly heading onwards supplying life to who knows how many people.

The place was splendid. Tamarind trees in the way were none but cherries on top. We ate there a lot. Spicy food has been my weakness ever since. In that fair at a chat food stall beside my chair, some boys were bragging about one of them's marriage problems. One big brother among them blurted angrily," How the heck he, he can marry and recall that guy, even he managed to marry how on the earth brother we can't find a suitable girl for you?" Replying to his that enraged friend so fuming with anger that he almost chewed his finger thinking of it morsel he sighed and said, " You're right bro. What should I do with this much estate and job?" He asked himself with that hilarious expression that I almost choked my food and the suppressed laugh transformed into cough. Those memories still make me erupt into giggles.

And, finally finally we decided to go home this time really to go home. And I leaning back to the soft leather seat couldn't help but wonder how different it all was. It wasn't my every-year birthday but the whole day long it changed into something else. Looking at the past I realized every year I do the same, we all do the same, buy pretty dresses, and gifts, give and take gifts, receive wishes, throw a party and we also donate food packets to poor persons in our city, the deed which always had taught me to not only appreciate but also respect my good fortune and better it. But this time was a whole lot different. I learned to appreciate happiness disguised in simple things. I never in life had thought that a simple planned visit to town could be so magical that it will become a tale, a tale worth writing for.....

Thanks a lot, Wattpad for giving me a chance to express myself. As soon as the words oozed from my tranquility, I understood the specialness of those moments which I had always taken for granted. It helped me to sort things out and see the world in better aspect from a better perspective. Thanks a real lot!!!
Hence, I dedicate this to every single one who intentionally and unintentionally bettered my special day, including Wattpad and you all.

Thanks to single one reading this. Due to some reasons, I couldn't make it earlier. My mother liked it a lot, hope you all will also appreciate it.

P.S. Kindly, Vote - Comment - Share...

-  Yours truly,
ButteryButteryfly5!