Foreshadow is a Friend

The basic definition of foreshadow is a indirect way of telling the reader what will be happening later on in the story.

Foreshadow is honestly the best part you can ever have in a prologue but too much of it makes the story boring or uninteresting. A way to stop this from happening is by making the foreshadow quite confusing.

Example of something a wrote:

Time the trial, the trial to fail. The hardest to prove, the hardest to beat. Once you've trained, once you've fought, once they think that you're tough enough. Take the trial, the trial of time. Only time will tell, only time will tell who you'll become. You think, you concentrate, let them read your mind. See the demon, see it come, let it flow through your weakened mind. You will then have a power, a power to control but only time will tell who you'll become. Your village, your people, your family, you. Each village has their power, each person has their demon. Only time will tell who you'll become. There is a cat, a human, a dog. Only one will become real and the others will be gone. Sit in the cave, think of your past, think of the horrid times and your demon will laugh. Follow the laugh and the demon you'll find, where? In the trial of time. The trial of time, the time to fail. Your real self will surface, if time will tell.

I am going to tell you what this prologue is in the next few paragraphs and let me know if I should actually write a book about it. If you want to make a book about this go ahead but credit me for the prologue.

This prologue is about a trial called the trial of time. The trial of time is held in cave and to complete the trial you must find your demon. 

A demon can show itself in multiple ways ranging from powers to animals but there are a few common ways the demons will show themselves. Dragon is on of the more common ones along with serpents and other large animals. Some powers that you may get when finding your demon could be the ability to fly, control weather patterns, harness lighting etc. 

The demon feasts on the weak side of you that is why you must think of your horrid times or memories. 

The cat, human and dog are all part of the trial of time. The dogs live in packs, cats live in smaller groups and humans in the villages and they all participate. When the trial of time begins at the beginning of the season and is the third trial and the hardest. When it says one will become real and the others will be gone means that one person will find their demon while the others will either be killed in a way by their demon or disappear. 

Once the trial of time is finished you come out and show your powers, you are them put in the village/pack/group which best suits you. 

Sometimes the trial of time takes hours but it can take days, weeks or months.

The next chapter will talk about how you can make prologues flow and fun to read.