Being Tyler Rose

Chapter One

It was currently five in the morning and we had been on the road for a few hours now. There was no traffic - just a bunch of darkness and crappy songs on the radio. "Why don't you phone in?" Uncle Ross had suggested whilst nodding his head towards the radio on the dashboard. 

"And suggest what? I don't think they appreciate Nirvana as much as they do Cindy Lauper or Madonna." 

He laughed. "Too true, kid." With that, he picked up a CD case from down by his side, opened it and pushed it into the player. He turned to me and smiled as my favourite song started to play. I turned it up and took a sip of my coffee and then started to sing along really loudly, probably too loud for five in the morning. "You can't always get what you want, you can't always get what you want, you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you might just find you get what you need..." We sung along to our CD of a compilation of our favourite song for three hours before we decided to have another stop for breakfast, which landed my Uncle waffling on about how when he was twelve he remembered going to his first ever Lions rugby game. 

We were a sporty family. Or, him and I were. I joined to live with Uncle Ross when I was twelve, I could have gone to live with my grandparents but they lived in America. It was just easier  to live with him, seeing as I'd only need to move a little bit and not a new Continent altogether. I was 17 now, and it wasn't always easy living with Uncle R. He was a wacky guy, always weird, forever into his music and sports (I guess that's why I'm so into them) but all in all, he was a great guy. It wasn't hard to say that he was one of my friends, we always joked around together, and he had always been there for me. Apart from when I had started my period when I was 13. That was awkward. He had no idea what to do. Luckily, his best friends wife, May, helped me. And in turn, she had became a motherly figure to me. And that's where we were going right now. To Aunt May & Uncle Jack's Summer house. Aunt May (wasn't really my aunt, but they were close enough to me to be related) had decided to host an all summer long party in her beach house for her family and friends. 

Aunt May and Uncle Jack had three sons. The twins, Ash and Theo, both whom were friendly, cheeky and seriously cute and then there was Max, same personality as his older brothers, just more shy and definitely a mummy's boy. Ashton looked like his mother with his dirty blonde hair and piercing green eyes, Theo and Max however took after their Father and had brown hair and deep brown eyes to melt all the girls with. And I, had the joy of being best friends with them. 

Four torturing long hours later, we finally arrived in Mawgan Porth. The sun was radiating through the old Mustang, the windows down as we blasted music out of the windows. My black RayBan's covered my eyes as we drove past the beach, it seemed to stretch out for a bit at low tide, but the surf still looked good. "You going out surfing this year?" Uncle Ross asked, cocking his head towards the tides as we came to a stop, waiting for some people to cross the rode. I turned back to him and smiled. "Person who does more tricks win." He let out a little laugh. "You're on squirm." He ruffled my hair up before putting his foot on the accelerator. Shortly after, we turned left into a long drive. The stones crunched under the wheels as we pulled up. There was already four cars in the drive. It was a big house, but how we were all going to fit into it for a summer - I had no idea. 

Ash came running out as soon as he heard the engine and pulled me up into a hug and spun me around. "How's my little cutie pie?" I rolled my eyes.

"Seriously, Ash? I will fucking punch you." 

"LANGUAGE MISSES!" May shouted as she stepped onto the porch smiling. I ran to her and gave her a hug.

"Aunt May!" 

She smiled and cupped my face in her hands, tears welled in her eyes. This had been happening a lot recently. Probably to do with the fact I'm not the girl I was when I first came here. I had basically been surrounded by guys. She was one of the only people that kept me sane.