Chapter Two: Brooke Alyssa Hill

Start from the beginning

"Thanks. You too," Brooked called back.

Skylar gave a thumbs-up and was off to work. She didn't want to work at McDonald's; she hated working at McDonald's, especially as a cashier. But she was only an entry-level worker, she had just graduated high school, and McDonald's was the nearest place that was hiring at the time. It was one of the worst jobs in the world and the customers were a pain in the ass to deal with, but at least her fellow employees were pretty fun to hang out with because they too knew that working at McDonald's sucked.

Skylar parked her car and walked in the back where she met her manager first thing. Diamond was a tall busty lady with slick black box braids and skin and eyes the same color of the burnt coffee she often served.

"Skylar, where the hell have you been?" Diamond asked as another worker by the name of Timia stepped out of the building for a smoke break, "Timia's been working the drive-thru for thirty minutes!"

"Sorry. My car wouldn't start," Skylar replied as she panted. Ugh, drive-thrus! That was where all the craziest customers were. If she had known she was going to work the drive-thru, she would've just skipped work.

Diamond stared menacingly at the late employee. "This isn't gon' be an everyday thing, is it?"

"No ma'am. I'm so sorry."

"Good." Diamond pointed to the dreaded drive-thru. "Now get to work."

"Yes ma'am," Skylar replied as patriotically as she could and marched her way to the drive-thru where she spent three hours working at when two of her high school classmates Kaitlyn and Emily drove up. Actually, she didn't know it was Kaitlyn and Emily until after they ordered.

"Thank you for choosing McDonald's. How may I help you?" Skylar greeted through the intercom as required.

"Yes, I'd like an Egg McMuffin with a McCafe Iced Mocha and a Fruit and Maple Oatmeal with a McCafe Iced Coffee," Kaitlyn answered through the other side of the intercom.

"Would that be all, ma'am?" Skylar asked finally.

"Yes."

Skylar told the two girls the full price and that they should come up to the window to pay. She wished she hadn't once Kaitlyn started after Skylar told them the total.

"Oh my God, Skylar! You still work at McDonald's?" Kaitlyn asked, pretending to be shocked. Skylar wanted to slapped Kaitlyn's dumb ass, long ass strawberry-blond hair and skye blue eyes right off her face, but she didn't want to risk getting fired even though McDonald's was only minimum wage.

"God, Kaitlyn. Just pay her already. She's already not making enough money. She's probably gonna need it more than us," Kaitlyn's girlfriend Emily whined sarcastically. Skylar also wanted to mop Emily's short curly red hair, mocha brown eyes, and numerous freckles off her face, but that would mean getting fired.

Kaitlyn sighed and handed the poor drive-thru worker her lover's debit card. "Thank you for serving our food," she exclaimed way too gleefully.

"Fuckers," Skylar thought as the two lovers kissed.

After she gave them and a bunch of other people's foods for another three hours, Skylar finally finally was able to take a lunch break. She rushed out to the parking lot, cranked the damn old car for five minutes and hauled ass home. She was sure that by then, her mother was awake and preparing lunch.

Well, her mother was awake. But she wasn't making lunch. She was outside in the front yard bawling into Kayleigh's arms. Skylar's father (from Pearl) was also there along with her stepmother Monica and their daughter (her half-sister) Winnie. Skylar didn't think anything was too wrong until she saw the ambulance truck carrying a dead body out from the trailer. Skylar jumped out of the car and ran to her mother.

"Mama, what's going on?" she asked frantically.

Skylar's sobbed more hysterically. Kayleigh was also crying. "It's Brooke," she answered.

"What? What happened?" Skylar inquired some more.

Skylar's mother sobbed out, "MY BABY'S GONE!" Then she went back to bawling.

Skylar turned around to her father. "What happened to Brooke?" she asked.

Her father wiped away tears from his wrinkled white skin and brown eyes before mumbling, "Brooke's passed away."

Skylar turned to Kayleigh. "How'd she die?!" she inquired again.

Kayleigh took some deep breaths and answered, "Jayden saw her hanging, and... and... I think she's hung herself..." She started bawling again.

Skylar couldn't believe it. She started crying along with the rest of the family. "Why her?!" she questioned, then screamed, "WHY THE HELL BROOKE OF ALL PEOPLE?!"

Skylar's mother hugged her closely. "We're so sorry," she cried, "We're so sorry, sweetie."