Chapter 25: Secrets 🙊

Steph's POV (Wednesday)

Thankfully when I went to the job fair, I got hired on the spot. I'll just be a bagger for now but that's fine with me. We get paid every Thursday, and I start next week. I'll get paid $8.50 a hour since that's minimum wage. I'm thinking about getting my phone back. Just so I have something to do when I'm at home. I can't believe Tarrance is making me buy all of my things back.

He's gone too far with this, but it's whatever once I buy all my stuff back he can't say that he did anything for me. I'm tired of his shit.

Who gets mad at the fact you point out they're not your parent. I woke up early so that I can walk to school. I'm about to walk out the door when Tarrance stops me.

"I'll give you a ride. It's hailing outside."

"Thanks, good morning. How have you been?" I say trying to make a conversation.

"Stephanie leave me alone. I'm only giving you a ride so my girl doesn't chew my ass out. I could care less about your ungrateful ass getting hit by hail. Save the bull shit small talk." He says getting up.

"What the fuck ever. I'm sick and tired of you acting like I don't fucking exist. Fuck you. I don't need you." I go off.

Tarrance POV

"Remember that when you become a word of the state. I'm done with you. Get to walking lil girl. Give me my money for your showers from today and yesterday. I was feeling nice and was going to take it off the list but fuck you. I have better shit on my mind then you.

"Whatever." She says handing me $40.

"Whoever you think you're playing with you better try again. You took two showers yesterday, and one this morning. That's $60. Now an extra $20 for trying to play me." I say with my hand out. She puts $40 more in my hand and walks to the door.

I pull out my phone and go to the contact I need. Cherry 🍒

Me: I need you again. After 4th hour I'll meet you at our spot.

Cherry 🍒:  Ok does Erica know yet?

Me: No and keep it that way. What she doesn't know won't kill her. I'm not trying to have her kill me over this.

Cherry🍒: Get it together. I'm not going keep going behind my bitch back.

Me: She don't need know. I'm not trying to hear it.

Cherry🍒: Boy get it together. I'll see you at noon. Now get off my line. 👌✌

Me: Fuck You Bastard.

"Where's Steph at?" Erica asks me.

"Walking. I tried being nice and giving her a ride but I've had enough of her disrespectful ass. I'm about to call the state to come get her ass." I tell her not even caring anymore. There's only so much you can take from a person before you finally just snap. I'm at that point with this little brat.

"Ok. Let's go Malcom." Erica yells.

"I tried my love, but she just gets under my skin." I tell her grabbing her hand.

"its fine I understand babe I just want you guys to get along." She says kissing me.

"It's game day babe. You're forgetting your shoes. I'll get em for you though." I tell her heading back upstairs and into our room. I grab her shoes and some money for Cherry to make sure she keeps this secret. I don't have time to be arguing with Erica.

"Thanks babe."

"Welcome my love." I tell her kissing on her, and pulling her by the hand out to the car so we can leave for school. We HAVE to be on time today or we sit out the whole first quarter of the game. I'm not having that I need to get noticed more than I already am.

"Malcom, tell your sister I don't want her in my house by herself. So her only options today are to either go to that game and get a FREE ride home or WALK HOME and sit her happy little butt on the porch until we get back from the game." I tell Malcom as we pull up to the school.

"I'll be glad when you two cut this out. Making everyone the middle man. Due to the fact the two of you don't want to talk stuff out. This isn't fair to us."

"I agree." Akeelah and Erica say at the same time

"I tried; I'm done with her disrespect. Her and I don't have to talk I'm her brother not her father." I say parking.

"Here, I'll see y'all at the game." I say handing them both $40

"Thanks." They both say and start walking the other way to head to class.

"You're a good big brother you know that right?" Erica asks me.

"I always thought that until recently. I do what I can. I give them everything that they need and want. But somehow Stephanie still finds a way to complain about it. I hate to say it but I honestly have been thinking about signing away my rights to her. I'm just fed up. I've done all that I can do. I'm not going to make her stay somewhere she doesn't want to be." I say, it honestly hurts me like crazy, I give Stephanie everything and she still finds a way to be ungrateful.

Class was a breeze I'm currently on my way to meet up with Cherry.

"Nice doing business with you." Cherry says walking away. We just handled our business. Talked about what we needed to talk about and did what we met up to do.

"Here." I say handing her $150.

"Keep your mouth shut Cherry. I'm not playing." I say as she snatches the money.

"Like I said I'm not going to keep going behind my bitch back so I suggest you tell her." 

*End of the day*.

I'm tired as hell. It's the fourth quarter and we're down by 10 with two minutes left in the game.