Chapter Sixteen: She's gone

Start from the beginning

"Nah." Amy said.

"You sure?" Emily asked him dubiously.

"Not really getting the sunshine carnival vibe." Rory commented.

"No? Ooo, feel that, though. What's that?" The Doctor said, jumping up and down repeatedly. "Ground feels strange. Just me. Wait. That's weird."

"What's weird?"

"Doctor, stop trying to distract us." Amy told him. "We're in the wrong place. Doctor, it's freezing and Emily and I've dressed for Rio. We are not stopping here. Doctor. You listening to me? It's a graveyard. You promised me a beach."

"Blue grass. Patches of it all around the graveyard. So, Earth, 2020-ish, ten years in your future, wrong continent for Rio, I'll admit, but it's not a massive overshoot." He admitted proudly.

"Why are those people waving at us?" Amy asked.

Three figures were standing, waving, on the other side of the valley.

"Can't be."

Rory started waving back, but Amy brought down his arm.

"Don't." She told him.

Emily watched the Doctor pull out a pair of binoculars and peer through them, unable to take her eyes off him. She loved listening to him talk. . .

"It is. It's you three." He said, turning instinctively to Emily, whom snapped her daze and she looked away quickly, blushing tomato red. He goofily grinned at her adorableness before clearing his throat and also looking away, a slight blush visible.

"No, we're here. How can we be up there?" Amy told him, failing to see their small interaction.

"Ten years in your future." He explained, blush dying down. "Come to relive past glories, I'd imagine. Humans, you're so nostalgic."

"Oi." Emily said, smacking his shoulder. Her blush had also faded to only a faint glow.

"We're still together in ten years?" Amy asked.

Rory rolled his eyes. "No need to sound so surprised."

"Hey, let's go and talk to them. We can say hi to future us. How cool is that?"

Emily winced. "I don't think we can, Amy."

"Er, no." The Doctor agreed. "Best not. Really best not. These things get complicated very quickly, and oh look." He excitedly pointed to something in the distance, looking back and forth between it and Emily. "Big mining thing. Oh, I love a big mining thing. See, way better than Rio. Rio doesn't have a big mining thing."

"We're not going to have a look, are we?" Amy complained.

"Let's go and have a look. Come on, you three, let's see what they're doing."

"Come on, it'll be fun." Emily told her, already following the Doctor.

"Yeah, of course she'd say that. It's not like she's in love with guy or anything." Amy muttered to her fiancé.

"If he can't get us to Rio, how's he ever going to get us back home?" Rory asked her.

"Did you not see over there? It all works out fine." She pointed to the cliff, where the three fingers had disappeared.

"After everything we've seen, we just drop back into our old lives? The nurse and the kissogram?"

"I guess. They're getting away." Amy said, trying to catch up with her sister and the Doctor.

"Hang on." Rory pulled her back. "What are you doing with that?

She held up her hand. "Engagement ring. I thought you liked me wearing it.