Chapter 1

- Jacob -

"Hey, Jacob!" 

I sigh in frustration at the sound of my co-worker's annoying heavy New York accent.

"Yeah?" I called back not turning away from the problem under the hood of a small Honda. 

"You have a visitor, he- uh says it's pretty important." I look over my shoulder and I came face to face with an old friend, Paul.

"You have ten minutes, Black." My co-worker rubs his beer gut as he walks away leaving me alone with Paul.

I haven't seen anyone back home in years, I refused to speak to anyone at all. I didn't want anyone to know where I've been hiding out but I did give Paul my information for safe keeping just in case anything happened to Nessie or something important like life and death. Seeing Paul here makes me worried. I motion for him to follow me outside where we can have more privacy.

"is Nessie okay?" was the first thing I asked when we stepped outside the auto shop. 

He chuckled and said sarcastically "Yeah, you could say that." 

"What the hell does that mean, Paul?" My heartbeat quickened, what was wrong with Nessie?! what could be so bad that Paul would need to come here to seek me out?

"Relax, Jacob! She is fine!" Paul assures me, shaking his head in the prosses. He knew exactly how I felt when it came to being protective of our imprint but he's always been easy to annoy and frustrate.

"But she's not the one you should be worried about right now" The look in his eyes terrified me, I knew something was wrong. maybe not with Nessie but with someone else I cared for.

"What happened, Paul?... tell me" 

"It's your Dad, Jacob.. he passed away the other night." He looked away but not before I could see his eyes gloss over. 

and I never thought anything besides something happening to Nessie, could turn my world upside down like this...

~ Renesmee ~

I stare out of the car window watching the mossy trees fly by, the rain splashed on the window. I focused on one rain drop running down the window until it was out of sight. But it wasn't enough to completely avoid the man in the driver's seat. I didn't want to talk to him. Not right now anyway, I was supposed to go to this funeral that my parents are making me go to and I begged Shawn to come with me so I wouldn't be bored the whole time and I know his pack was very close to Billy Black so I thought he wouldn't mind coming with me. instead of being a good boyfriend, he decided he didn't want to go and picked a fight with me so he could get out of it. 

I may not know much but I'm smart enough to know he picked the fight so I wouldn't want him to go with me, I don't even know why it's such a big deal that he didn't want to the man is from La push like him, his pack is going to be there I don't see why he wouldn't want to go if he knew the guy. 

We park in the lot of the tiny church, from what my mother said they are just having a visitation and then a gathering at Sam's house since the son of the man who died doesn't have the room to fit a lot of people and the church isn't big enough to fit everyone for a full funeral service.