Bonus Chapter - Shopping with Dragons

Start from the beginning

She joined the battle fray of New Orleans traffic. The brothers learned several new curse words from Alex and that her little car was a lot faster than it looked. Cale's knuckles were white on the edge of the seat by the time they parked.

"What now?" Alex asked, raising her eyebrows at their expressions.

"We're accustomed to walking," Gabe said with dignity.

"Now we walk," Alex said with a smile, "I need a new mattress, so I'll buy that first. Then I'll know how much money I'll have left." Alex set a brisk pace down Magazine Street.

"A new one because of the high ick factor of old ones," Rile said, his long legs easily matching Alex's pace.

"Quick learner. Good, you'll need it to survive," Alex replied.

The mattress store was several blocks off Magazine Street. The brothers marveled at the sight of all the mattresses on frames across the sales floor. Rile flopped on one, face up, and then started bouncing.

"Stop that," Alex ordered.

"Why? It'll bring over the salesperson faster."

Sure enough, a thin man walked over, expression concerned.

"I need a mattress. Here are the dimensions of the bed frame." Alex shoved the paper at him before he could speak. "Please," she added.

"Excellent." The salesperson looked at the paper. "This is a king size. I'll show you our selection. Please follow me."

Alex was hot on his heels. Gabe motioned to Rile, who pushed off the bed, and the brothers followed Alex closely.

"We have memory foam, quilted tops—"

"Cheapest," Alex said.

The salesperson nodded smoothly. "Perhaps you should try this one."

Rile bounced on it. "I like it."

"Then you buy it. The mattress is for me. Is this the cheapest one? I'm on a budget," Alex said.

"These two are our economy line. You'll be sleeping on them for many years. You should try them," the salesperson said smoothly.

After a suspicious glance at the salesperson, Alex carefully lay on the first mattress. Rile started for the mattress and Alex jumped up. Rile grinned and Alex frowned back at him. She walked to the far side of the second mattress. Cale blocked Rile's way and Alex, gaze locked on Rile, laid on her side on the second mattress.

"Which one is cheaper?" Alex asked the salesperson.

"The one you're on."

"Sold."

*****

Alex paid cash for the cheaper mattress at the checkout.

"Now for delivery," the salesperson said.

"Oh, delivery," Alex said with dismay. "How could I forget that?"

"Use Dr. Dewey's address," Gabe said.

"Thank you." Alex printed that address on the delivery form. "Now for couch and recliner."

They exited the store and returned to Magazine Street.

"Look at all the treasures." Cale peered in the window of an antique store.

"Junk," Rile dismissed.

"If it intrigues you, let's go in," Alex said. "This is how much money I have left for a couch and recliner." She held out her wad of cash.

"I'll handle this. I'm the master." Rile strode in.