Chapter 16

A few days later, the antibiotics had done their job and Eden was ready to be discharged.

"I can swing by and check on her in a few days, but feel free to call if something doesn't seem right between now and then," Natalie said, handing me a stack of discharge papers.

I nodded and signed on the indicated line. Severide buckled a sleeping Eden into her carseat while I stuffed her things into my bag. Dr. Manning and Will walked us to the door, giving us one last hug before we loaded Eden in the car and headed home.

"It's so good to be home," I said, coming back downstairs after settling Eden in her crib.

Severide pulled me into a hug, rubbing my back gently as I slid my hands under the hem of his shirt, relishing to warmth of his skin.

"I'm really proud of how well you handled all of this," he whispered, pressing a delicate kiss into the crook of my neck.

"We both did well. We make a great team," I said.

I felt him smile against my neck. After a little while, he let go and I headed upstairs to shower. When I came back downstairs, I found Kelly fast asleep on the couch, the TV tuned in to a hockey game. I just stood there for a moment, looking down at the man who had stolen my heart.

I jumped a little when my phone rang, rushing to answer it before the sound woke someone up.

"Hello?"

"Hello, Grace. This is ADA Stone," the voice said.

"Hi. What can I help you with?" I asked.

"I just wanted to check and see if we're still on to meet up before Andrew's trial?" he said.

"Yes, of course. I'm sorry I haven't called you back. Things have been a little crazy around here."

"I heard about Eden and everything that's been happening. I'm sorry you had to go through that," he said, his voice sympathetic.

"Thank you. When would you like to meet?" I asked.

"I'm free any time tomorrow," he said.

"I should be able to come around noon. Would that be okay?" I asked.

"Sounds perfect. I'll schedule you in. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Thank you, ADA Stone. I'll see you then," I said.

I ended the call and set my phone on the counter. I made my way around the kitchen, pulling down things to make enough bottles for Eden to last through the night. By the time I was finished making the bottles and cleaning up, I heard soft cries on the baby monitor. Kelly stirred on the couch, automatically responding to the sounds of Eden's tears.

"I've got her. Go back to sleep," I said quietly, kissing him on the forehead.

When I got upstairs, I found Eden sitting up in her crib. I picked her up, wiping the tears off her cheeks and kissed her forehead. She smiled up at me and I felt my heart melt. She hadn't smiled very much over the past few weeks, so seeing her little grin made me so unbelievably happy inside.

"Hey, Jellybean," I said, setting her down on the changing table.

She babbled back to me as I changed her diaper, making sure it was securely fastened before dressing her in a plain white onesie and heading back downstairs. Kelly had fallen back asleep and was snoring softly, so I settled Eden into her pack n' play while I put together lunch for all of us.