Chapter 23: Embarassed

Start from the beginning

Odette straightens up when her clothes are neatly folded and turns around, catching my eye. She reaches up, and with one swift tug, she pulls her brown waves from her bun, letting her blonde hair fall. She throws her head back and runs her fingers through it, putting the black hairtie on her left wrist.

Some guy across the pool whistles loudly.

I mean, this is a college apartment complex, but still, I whip around.

"Don't look at her!" I shout at him. "She's spoken for, thank you very much!"

He silences immediately and I turn back to Odeletta. There's a hint of a smile on her lips.

"Actually I'm not spoken for." She winks, and then she turns around and saunters away.

Oh fuck.

I turn around, rushing after her, catching her hand. She turns around.

"Yes?" She asks innocently.

"Will you be my girlfriend?" I ask without an ounce of hesitation.

She laughs softly, and then bites her lip.

"You are only asking because you don't want that guy to have me." She shrugs.

And then she dives into the pool.

When she comes up for air, she goes to the stairs and gets out.

"Is that a yes?" I ask, following her, watching the water drip down her body.

We're both soaked. I wonder what it would be like to shower with her.

My eyes darken at the thought. She flashes me a smile, but she just shrugs.

"I don't think I can say yes to that."

Mason and Harper's jaws are slack, watching the exchange, but Brenda looks annoyed.

"But..." I trail off. "But why?"

"I can't." She smiles, shrugging.

She has to be kidding.

"Well...well I won't stop until you say yes." I decide.

She shrugs her shoulders again.

She's so attractive.

_____

I asked her six more times but she kept saying no.

Now that it's around nine, I'm starting to get really upset.

I finally got the balls to ask her and she said no. She said no seven times.

I got rejected by her seven times.

I'm watching her sit in the pool with Harper and Brenda, laughing and talking, and I'm sitting here frowning.

Mason is sitting next to me, eating his chips loudly.

"Brenda is starting to piss me off." He admits quietly. I don't even look at him.

"Why?" I ask. He sighs.

"Last night I bought some lottery tickets and she was telling me I'm not allowed to buy them because they're a waste of money. She literally made me give them to somebody in the gas station."

I frown, looking at him now.

"That's bullshit."

"She told me I need to lose weight on Thursday." He mutters.

"That's ridiclious." I say. Mason might not have a six pack but he almost does, his muscles are large. "There's not really any more weight for you to lose." I scowl.