Chapter 1; Buying Stuff

Serenity stretched her arms, and stepped out of her house into the garden.

She loved the grass and the flowers in the garden (there was even a spot with vines and swings), but her weak Immune System stopped her from hanging in the little paradise as much as she wanted to.

A single bird flew through the garden, chirping. She landed on the grass, and Serenity's smile widen. The bird raised her tail lightly and walked away with the weird- bird- walk, and Serenity's smile flattered as she realized "the bird pooped."

"Serenity, we're going to leave without y-" Her dad stopped, "oh, you're already here."

"Hi dad!" Serenity grinned.

"Are you changing hair color?" He asked, looking back to the house. Maria joined them, and he hugged her shoulder.

"Oh, yeah, almost forgot," Serenity touched her sick hair, and it slowly changed to light- purple.

John grimaced, "it's too slow," he commented, "I think we should g-"

"Let's go buy things!"

***

The three walked through the mall, Serenity doing her best not to stumble upon her feet, until they arrived at an old jewelry shop.

"Hello Marge," Maria greeted the shop keeper, that looked utterly tired, her hazel eyes closing.

"Hello Maria," she smiled, "John. Is that your daughter?"

"Yes, Serenity. Serenity, this is Marge." Serenity smiled shyly, she wasn't used to talking to people outside of her family or Healers.

"Oh dear, she looks just like you, Maria. I suppose the hair is from you, John," Marge smiled slyly. John laughed. "Shopping for Arrow, I suppose?"

"You got that right," John beamed, and Serenity rolled her green eyes. Typical of her father.

"Well, to the back, you know the drill- as they say."

Merlin, Serenity mentally groaned.

The family walked to the back of the shop, and came to face- "The bathroom? What? We're gonna pee?"

"Serenity, talk like a lady!" Maria scolded.

"When Hell freez-"

"No, Serenity, we are not going to pee. This is the entrance to the Secret Mall."

"Secret Mall? Dude, call it in its real name."

"Fine, Wizard Alley. It's such a bad name, Secret Mall is better," John grumbled.

"Merlin, you're such a baby." Serenity whined.

"So, we'll buy you an owl, but would you like another pet?"

"Dog." Serenity immediately replied.

"Please, take your time," John retorted sarcastically.

"John," Maria scowled.

"Sorry," he sighed, rubbing his forehead. "Let's get you a wand, and then the books. Afterwards we'll go to the pet shop."

"Sounds like a plan," Serenity said happily, "let's get a wand!"

***

The Wand Maker was at the very end of the alley, between the Second- Hand Shop and the Lost & Found. When the Ross family arrived there, Maria and John stayed outside, allowing Serenity to experiance one of the most meaningful moments in her life on her own.

She took a first step into the shabby shop, the floor creaking.

"Hello?" Serenity called shyly. Out of the back, a clumsy- looking young man chimed in. His age seemed unfitting to the shop, but he smiled when he saw the girl.

"You a costumer?" He shook off his shoulder a cable, "good, good! Grandpa is out, so I am selling today. First wand?"

"And hopefully last," Serenity said, smiling gracefully.

"Uh! That's a nice thing to hear. Come along!" He gestured for her to follow further in, and left her at a room full of boxes.

Serenity could hear the black haired mutter to himself, until he came back, holding ten boxes.

He put them all in front of her, "choose one to try."

Serenity stared at the boxes. How could she choose one wand to try, when all she sees is the box?

"May I see the wands themselves, and not the boxes?" Serenity bit her lip, I hope I didn't come out rude.

"Of course!" The man replied, and with a swish of his own wand, all of the boxes were open.

Serenity looked around at the wands, her hand automatically went to the brightest wand- gray wand. It felt cold in her hands as she admired it.

"Try it," he encouraged. Serenity raised her hand and with a swish, and a window broke.

"Oops," she smiled sheepishly.

"Try another one."

Her eyes locked on a black wand with strange engulfment's attached to it. She raised her eyes to the shop keeper, that nodded. Serenity took the wand, that felt warm in her hands, like home.

When she gave that wand a try, the window fixed.

"I think I found my wand," she whispered in a hoarse voice.

"12.5 centimeters, Dragon heartstrings and Ash. Ideal for jinxes and hexes, longer than average, and flexible." He nodded, "I'll pack it for you, two galleons." Serenity nodded, going to the door. Her parents were there with a pitch black owl in a cage.

"You done?"

"Yeah, just need to pay now." Serenity smiled. Maria handed her the cage, and the owl and the girl stared at each other.

 "Hi." The owl chirped. "I am Serenity Ross. You?" The owl looked at her strangely, "shall I name you?" Serenity nodded in response for herself, "you're black- no racism- do, Oreo?"

"Oreo? Where? I'm hungry." A blonde boy said, passing by.

"I names my owl Oreo."

"Oh," he said, disappointed. "You're evil."

"You're rude," Serenity grinned.

"Huh?"

Serenity shrugged, "you alone here?"

"My parents are probably either smoking, fighting or smoking while fighting."

"Charming," Serenity commented.

"Like your face," he grinned. "I'm Luke."

"Hi there Luke. I'm Serenity."

"That's a weird name."

"At least your face is not alone." Luke laughed.

"Little one, I like you." Serenoty huffed, glaring at his brown eyes.

"I am simply short."

"You're starting at Arrow this year, by any chance?" He suddenly asked.

"Yeah, why?"

"Cool we'll both be first years." He stuck out a hand for her to shake, "hello there classmate."

"Hi." Serenity said, unsure of how to react she simply stared at his hand. He sighed, letting it drop. "So, meet ya at Arrow?"

"Sure, bye."

"Bye." Luke walked away, deciding it's time to look for his parents.

Serenity frowned, what was taking her parents so long?

Suddenly, an explosion was heard from the shop.

"WHAT THE-"

"RUN!" John called, grabbing Oreo's cage and Serenity's hand.

"What happened?"

"JUST RUN!"