Eleven: arrival

Neisa rubbed her heavily pregnant stomach and felt the baby kick like it often did. "Are you feeling alright?" Bain asked her as he walked in the door, storm clouds making noises. She nodded.

"Yes, but the baby is giving me cramps." She said standing up. She was eight months pregnant, not far from her due date. She started to walk to him before she stopped in her tracks, her hand on her stomach and a tight gasp.

"Neisa?" He asked worriedly. "Bain..." She said without moving her eyes. "I think my water just broke." She heard water hit the ground and felt it drizzle down her leg. "W-What?"

She didn't move at all. "Get... A healer... NOW!" Her tone didn't change until she shouted and felt a piercing pain in her stomach. "Get Sigrid!" She shouted right before he ran off.

"Sigrid!" He shouted as he found her going to her home. "Bain?" She asked, ran beginning to pour down. "It's Neisa! The baby is coming!" He said worriedly. "Her water broke!" He said in a shaky voice. "She's not due for another month!" Sigrid said.

"It's time!" He said. They rushed to his home and opened the bedroom door, Neisa on their bed, holding her stomach in pain. "Neisa!" He said in a shaky voice. "It hurts!" She said worriedly.

"Bain, I'm sorry, but you'll need to leave until it's time to push," Sigrid said. "What?" Neisa and Bain said at the same time. She felt another contraction and yelled. Bain left and told Tilda, Bard, and all her brothers that it was time. "If it comes to saving the baby or me, save the baby!" She begs. "Neisa..." Sigrid said. "Please! Save the baby!" She pleaded. Sigrid nodded to her. "Alright."

Hours of labor had passed, and Sigrid was growing worried. The contraction was over and Neisa took a deep breath in. "When am I pushing?" She said worriedly. "Not now," Sigrid told her as she grabbed a cloth and dabbed it on Neisa's sweating forehead. "I don't think you'll be pushing until a long while."

Neisa moaned. "Why is it taking so long?" She asked. "It's coming early," Sigrid replied. "How long has it been?" Neisa asked. Sigrid thought for a moment. "At least 12 hours." She said worriedly. Neisa groaned. "I think yours is going to take a longer time, Neisa."

Neisa yelled in pain again as another contraction passed. Sobs escaped her mouth as she felt it come. "Breath, Neisa, breathe." She tried to breathe but yelled again. "Just breathe..." Sigrid said soothingly. "Breathe..."

Many more hours past and Neisa had been clutching her bed sheets tightly. "That's it, Neisa! Breathe!" Sigrid told her. She took a deep breath out, the contraction ends. "How long left?" Neisa moaned. "Only about four or five more hours. I am sorry, Neisa, but the baby is early."

Sigrid left for a short moment to tell the news to Bain and the others waiting. "Is it here?" She shook her head. "I think it'll be here in about four or five hours." She said nodding. "What? She's already been through about thirty hours!" Bain exclaimed.

"I know. It's a month early, she's trying to breathe and relax. It's hard for her. She still isn't at pushing stage, but she'll be there soon." Bain groaned.

Two hours past and Neisa screamed. "Try not to scream, Neisa. It only makes the pain worse." Sigrid said as she spread Neisa's legs apart. "I can't-do it." Neisa said as she sobbed "I hurt so much." She cried. "I know, it does, Neisa. When the next contraction comes it's time to push!" Sigrid told her.

She felt it end and her head fell to her pillow. "Now, Neisa, Bain is going to be coaching you during this part. I won't be in here. Do as he says, alright?" Neisa nodded, her vision blurring from tears.

Sigrid left and came to Bain. "She's about to push." Bain stood up. "Bain, when the next contraction comes, tell her to push. To take del breaths and push. To pause for a few seconds, then push again. When you see the head, you'll need to very gently take it and tell her to push harder. When it arrives, you need to hold it gently, and you'll need a small towel under your arms and have it lie on top of that. Alright?" Sigrid said.