Chapter 8~ Bittersweet Reunion

These ears don’t deserve the things

You’ve been feeding them

It’s no wonder that you’ve never done a thing

I wish you’d never talk at all

These walls talk more than we ever will.

I could get used to this world,

Standing oh so still.

So hedge my bets and stand my ground

I'll never talk at all.

Cause sometimes, sometimes.

Hate can be so beautiful.

(The Hangman~ D.R.U.G.S.)

----------------------------------------- 

(Remember, this is in the time period while Jerad was going through all that torture and stuff...)

Everything had been working fine lately, I got to take a nice rest from my searching. I was thankful to get a full night's sleep, even though Alias kept attempting... Things. His friends had put us in the same room with only one bed... This wouldn't go over well with Jerad.

Speaking of Jerad, it's been a couple days since we arrived here, shouldn't he be here by now? I knew how strong he was, he could obviously be finished with the Warrior's faster than this. But I couldn't help but wonder....

What if something had happened?

What we were doing was extremely dangerous- Airyolis could attack us at any given moment, not to mention the countless beasts outside.

I sighed and continued to stare off into space, seated at a table with my head resting on my fist. My eyes were completely apathetic. I must have been in a deep state of depression, because even Alias coming up directly behind me and talking so close to my ear that I could feel his breath didn't break my trance.

"Come on now. Forget about the little hero boy..." I could tell he had a dark smirk on his face.

"If I did, what would the point of going through these trials be?" I asked in a completely bored tone. 

"Exactly, darling. If you were to choose me then... Well..." He leaned forward and kissed my cheek. "You wouldn't have to go through all of this." I gasped and threw my hand behind me in order to hit him off of me. What had gotten into him lately? I rose in anger and walked out of our room and down towards the main level. And, surprise, surprise, Alias followed me, saying stupid little things to me as he did so.

"Don't be like that, Kat! Just give up!" I was about to whip around and smack that ugly smile right off his face, but a loud noise from the cellar door caught my attention. Alias and I both ran towards where it was and I stopped and gasped, with tears springing into my eyes.

There, lying on the ground... Was a man covered in blood and dirt, collapsed on the floor. Alias ran over to the man and bent down before him.

"He's still breathing..." Alias muttered, turning him over on his back so I could see his face....

"No! It can't be him.... Can it?!" I shrieked. Unable to hold it in, I ran over to my injured Jerad. I pulled his upper body onto me so his head was in my lap, and I gently wrapped my arms about him- Not wanting to agitate any of his wounds. I sobbed over him desperately.

What could have happened?! This made no sense! Oh, dear goddess let him be okay.... Please...

I looked up at Alias through my bangs, seeing him pondering what to do next. Was he fucking insane?! He needed medical help, and now! 

As if he could read my mind, Alias picked up poor Jerad and carried him to our room, and layed him down on the bed. I followed shortly after... I had to clean up the blood of my lover or else the people who lived here would think we murdered someone. But I think my tears cleaned the blood more than the water. 

As I climbed the staircase to our room, the chanting that had once been faint became louder and louder. I peeked into the doorway to see Alias stading before the unconscious Jerad, still chanting. It sounded like some sort of spell, and I honestly hoped it was, because Jerad began to glow an eerie white, and also began to float an inch or two above the bed. But, as soon as it had started, it ended. Jerad fell back onto the bed and Alias stopped speaking. I ran up to his side.

"What was that??" My curiousity was killing me... Almost more than seeing my lover this way was. I reached for his hand gently and held it.

"A healing spell. Please, don't worry, babe. He'll be fine." Another smug look. I rolled my eyes and pulled a chair up to his bedside, still holding his injured hand. His other one appeared to be broken. As hard as it was, I stopped myself from crying and spent the night beside him... Brushing the hair out of his face or stroking his cheek on occasion. I hoped he would wake up the next day... Surely he would, right?

I fell asleep with his hand still in my grip. And in mere seconds, I was in a black room, hearing an eery, whipered yet menacing voice.

"I'm coming for you, girl.... Do not think that the first meeting will be pleasant! You're blood will make a fine decoration for your cell." I felt a cold, sharp object plunge into my stomach and I screamed in sudden pain. I thrashed, but soon felt my wrists gripped by cold hands.

"Calm down, Kat... C'mon..." My eyes shot open and I came face to face with Alias. The room went silent, but for my panting. Alias looked my face over and gave a questioning look.

"I... Had a.... Nightmare...." I said between breaths. He nodded and I turned to look at my lover, to see his eyes wide open and staring at me with wide eyes. I got to my feet and looked over at him, hoping for him to say something. But instead, when he opened his mouth, blood gushed out and I could only see a bloody stump of where his tongue had once been. I screamed once more.

In a single flash, I was staring at the now awake Jerad. I was trembling, shaking, sweating, panting... A.K.A. a complete wreck.

"I-I-Is this reality?.... Am I... Am I dream.... Dreaming still?" I asked out loud, my voice a rasped whisper as I put my shaky hands to my face.

"Kat, whoa what the hell happened, are you okay? Where are we?!" Jerad's quiet voice turned into a shout and he tried to sit up, only to fall back with a groan.

"Let me explain..." Alias' voice came from the door. This was going to be rather... Interesting, right?