She wrapped her thin cardigan closer to her body. The night had grown crisper, but it was still warmer than home. She had decided to walk home instead of driving Harry’s car. The streets were busy with people. Everyone that was walking the streets seemed to be going home from their jobs or going out for a night out (even though it was only a Thursday night).

As she was walking home, Ava decided to stop at a local coffee shop. That was another thing she had found herself missing. She missed Mita’s and work. She missed Jacey. She missed Luca’s strong Italian accent and his biscotti. She couldn’t wait to go home and see them all again. She longed for a hot cappuccino. But, until then she would succumb to a Starbucks coffee. It wasn’t the same, Ava thought. But it had to do. She didn’t have much of a choice anyways.

A bright blonde girl was working at the cash register. The shop was quiet. It was clear to Ava that this wasn’t the most popular Starbucks location and she was happy about that. She wanted to be alone tonight and the fewer amounts of people that surrounded her, the better.

The barrister looked up from her phone and gave Ava a bright toothy grin. She looked no more than sixteen. “Hello! How can I help you?” The young girl, whose name tag read Teagan, had vibrant blue eyes that complimented her bleach blonde hair well. She was the epitome of typical Californian girl. Ava internally laughed at herself.

“Hi,” Ava returned the small smile with her own toothy grin. The girl’s energy was addicting. Ava couldn’t help but find herself grow happier with each moment that passed with Teagan. “I’ll have a grande mocha, please.”

Teagan nodded while writing Ava’s order down on a white paper cup. She began to type into the computer. “That will be four dollars please!”

Fact: Mocha’s are three fifty for a large at Mita’s, Ava thought to herself cheekily. She grabbed her wallet and pulled out her visa. “You’re not from around here.” Teagan spoke bluntly. Her blunt observation had thrown Ava off slightly.

“Um, no I’m not. How could you tell?” Ava quirked an eyebrow up as she typed in her pin code into the machine.

“First off, you have a pin for your Visa. No American has that.” She stated. “Second off, your accent is totally not from here.” She grinned.

“Oh,” Ava laughed sheepishly. “I didn’t know I had an accent.”

“You totally do! Where are you from? Wait! Let me guess.” Teagan placed the mocha syrup down on the counter and scratched her chin. Her brows furrowed as she thought hard. “Oh! I know! Are you from Seattle?” Her eyes widen as she spoke enthusiastically.

“No,” Ava laughed, her smile widening as a result of Teagan’s addicting enthusiasm.  “Close!”

“Hmm,” Teagan turned around and began to pour the contents of her drink into the cup. As she placed the lid on top, her eyes widened once again. “Are you from, like, Northern California?” It was clear to Ava that Teagan wasn’t the smartest egg, but she still found her endearing.

“No.” Ava giggled. “I’m from Vancouver.”

“Washington?”

“Canada.”

Teagan’s eyes lit up once again at the mere mention of Canada. “No way! Eh!” She giggled at her own joke. “That’s so cool! I’ve always wanted to meet a Canadian.”

“We’re nothing too special.”

“No way! Canadians are so cool! Do you have a pet polar bear? Oh! Do you live in an igloo? A friend of mine once told me that people from Canada put maple syrup on everything!”