Chapter 21

Arthur stared around the small clearing hidden in the trees. He and Tannon had ridden out here after they'd met at the inn. Half a dozen men milled around the clearing. He glanced at the other man. "This is it?"

The tanner shrugged. "I received replies from eighteen, but some have moved to places far removed from Kingsley. They feared reprisal from Campbell. It may take some of them a bit longer to get here."

"I suppose I could understand that. Have you told them about Codey?"

"Yes, of course. You can imagine their surprise when they discovered Ronan's boy lived." Tannon stared at the men moving about the camp for a few minutes before he spoke again. "Do you know how he survived?"

He shook his head. "No, he's never told me. To be honest I have no idea if he even knows. He was only a child when it took place."

"I'll never forget that day. My boy, Garek, was nine at the time. I'd already lost his mother the year before to illness. When they attacked that day ..." He stopped speaking, his eyes fixed on his son where he sat beside the fire speaking with the knights.

Arthur placed a hand on the man's shoulder. "I can only imagine what took place that day. I've never been in such a battle and I've never lost a loved one."

"Kingsley lost a lot that day. When I heard about Ronan and his family it was a shock. But I knew the King would take care of us." His look soured. "Until that bitch arrived towing her little boy behind her, followed by an army of mercenaries. I knew then no one was coming to our rescue. Not when I saw ten of Ronan's knights led to their death's the very day that bitch marched into Kingsley simply because the stated their loyalty to the King and Ronan. I packed what I could and left that night."

"They affirmed their loyalty to not only their Baron but the King as well?" Arthur asked.

"Yes. Why?"

"I'm not certain they were killed for their loyalty to Ronan. Campbell hates the King for what he sees as his part in his mother's dismissal from Ronan's life."

"Campbell was just a child! He couldn't have given that order!" Tannon protested.

"He's spent his entire life hearing stories from his mother about her one true love and how she was set aside. The man is angry about it. Angry enough to send men to attempt to kill Princess Skylette. I've heard Codey tell stories about Skylette's brother when he was a child. That man grew up knowing he was going to be a king. According to Codey, he acted like it."

"Meaning what, exactly?"

"He was a tiny adult. He took what he was taught seriously. Perhaps Campbell's mother believed in all honestly because Ronan was his father Campbell was destined for great things. Because of that belief, she told him that from a young age. Taught him what he needed to know to be a lord. The boy believed it. Wholeheartedly."

Tannon scowled. "I do not want to believe a five-year-old gave the order to murder those men."

Arthur shrugged. "I don't either. But I've met Campbell and I think he's certainly capable of it. I didn't know him when he was a child, but if his mother brought him up to believe he was going to be a leader ..."

Tannon shook his head. "It's no wonder he's a giant boar's ass."

Arthur chuckled. "Exactly. I've met his mother. The woman isn't right in the head. The attack wasn't supposed to be an attack. At least according to her addled brain."

Tannon arched a brow at him. "What was it supposed to be then? An afternoon lawn party?"

"She hired those men to spirit away Ronan's wife and son. She believed if they went missing and were presumed dead, he would return to her and their son. I suppose the mercenaries she hired saw Kingsley as a prize and decided it was worth more than she'd paid them."