Chapter 13

"Alistair! Alistair, where are you?"

He stepped out of his study into the hall and frowned at his wife. "Whatever is the matter, why are you bellowing?"

"It's Skylette, she's gone! I thought she was sulking because Edwin has left. I left her too it, I didn't want to upset her further." She was wringing her hands together. "After Codey ... I thought I was doing the right thing, giving her time. After all, Edwin is coming back; he's just going home for a bit."

He took her hands in his, rubbing his thumbs over the backs of them gently, soothingly. "Dear, you're rambling. Tell me what's wrong?"

"She isn't in her room or anywhere in the castle. I can't find her! And Lightning is gone!"

Alistair frowned. "How could she possibly leave without anyone noticing?"

She shook her head. "I don't know! No one has left since Edwin and his people."

His face darkened. "Our daughter is too damn cleaver. She must have slipped out with Edwin's people."

"Edwin will keep her safe, as soon as he notices she's with them he'll make certain she's protected."

He turned and entered his study. "Why would she leave like this?"

"Perhaps she believed Edwin wouldn't return?"

"Perhaps, though I can't imagine why she would think that of him."

His wife snorted. "After Codey, I think perhaps our daughter might be a bit insecure about her relationships with men."

"That's ridiculous. She and Codey didn't have any sort of relationship. Stop reading things into it. This is Sky acting out, believing she can do as she pleases. Trying to show me, she is as capable as Darrien. Go anywhere and do anything she pleases. She will learn that isn't the case."

***

"Are you going to leave your room or stay in here and sulk?"

Codey ignored Arthur and remained prone on his bed, an arm flung over his eyes. He could care less about whatever was happening outside his room. He didn't want to know what they were plotting. He didn't want to know about Edwin and Piper, or how their relationship involved Sky.

"Go away, Arthur or I'll swing on you same as Edwin."

"You can try."

"You may be better with a sword, but I'm faster with fists and we both know it. Now get out."

"The wedding is in an hour, out by the lake. I suggest you attend. If you don't I'll be extremely disappointed in you."

"Then prepare yourself for disappointment."

"You know, I've put up with a lot from you, but this is the largest load of horseshit yet."

Codey removed the arm from over his eyes and glared at his former best friend. "Screw you."

"No, Codey, screw you. The woman you profess to care not a thing about is downstairs working to help Edwin marry the woman he loves while you're hiding up here sulking. She is here and you could be down there with her! Without her father getting the way!"

He was up off the bed in seconds. "No, there is nothing there and there never will be! Drop it, Arthur. You have no idea what you're talking about; there could never be a damn thing between us. I know that now."

Arthur put a hand in the center of his chest to keep him from shoving past and leaving the room. "And Edwin and Piper are impossible too? Nothing is impossible, Codey. It can be if you give it a chance. Stop fighting it."