ring ring! get the phone, it's self indulgence

(aggressively deviating from the plot 101; step one; fuck you asra i'm not letting you in my damn shop. step two; don't unlock the door. in fact, never open it. go find a different magician, your majesty. step three; realise locking the door does nothing to keep ginger plague doctor jeff goldblum out of your fucking store, because he too has a key. i gave it to him. that's my boy. lov himb. kidding, I suppose you could just consider this a spare moment when the guards aren't up everyone's ass and Asra still isn't home)

"...I can tell you're still awake."

"I'm surprised you thought I'd be able to sleep."

"I always figured the whole eye situation was either makeup or unrelenting bags of sadness, though I guess sleep deprivation would make more sense."

"Perhaps it's all three."

There was a brief pause before they both broke into quiet laughter, the smaller of the two snuggling impossibly closer to the other.

"For a place with such borderline-tropical weather in the summer, winter nights in Vesuvia are so damn cold it's almost unnatural," she said rather bitterly, a complete change of tone from just seconds ago.

"I suppose it's a good thing I'm here then."

The brunette rolled her eyes, a gesture unnoticed in the darkness of her room, "Ah, of course. My one and only hero, my personal source of warmth. Is that why you insist on wearing three different layers in summer?"

She could tell a response was on the tip of his tongue, just before he let out a defeated sigh, "Fine, I'll admit it-- it is rather cold."

The magician let out a huff of victory before leaving a small kiss on the doctor's jawline.

"That it is. Goodnight Juli, I love you."

"Mm. Haven't heard that one in a while."

"Oh come on, you don't have to be like that, just say it back."

Silence.

"...Y-You do love me, right?"

"Yes, of course."

It was his turn to be met with silence, another rugged sigh escaping his lips as guilt crawled up his back. He pulled the brunette closer, dusting light butterfly kisses across her face.

"I really do love you, alright? Every bit of you, and don't ever let anyone, especially myself, let you think differently."

"I love you too, Julian. And I don't want you thinking differently either," she smiled, her statement followed by a soft yawn, "We should really sleep though."

"Agreed."