Chapter Four

Before the lot of us could even think about gathering ourselves as we finally drove up to the house, the front door swung open with a clamor and cast a dim light across the front porch. Aunt Betsey ran out and frantically bobbed her head up and down in what I assumed was an attempt to identify us as she clutched her lantern in one hand and her skirts in the other. Had the situation not been so grim, I may have giggled under a cupped hand at her exaggerated gestures. Laughter was a thing of the past now and was surely nothing more than a memory. I didn't know when or if I would ever laugh again given the circumstances.

Aunt Betsey's crackling voice called out over the space between us, "M—Missus Lanton, is dat you? Oh Lawd, please let it be the missus!"

"Yes, Aunt Betsey, we have returned, but we have wounded men and we will need your help getting them inside. Please do calm down." Mother's reply was painfully spiritless. She was a woman made alive only by dejection.

At Mother's response and for whatever reason would provoke her emotions, Aunt Betsey let out a shrill howl of a sob and stumbled off the porch to meet Mother, running to her as she was attempting to remove herself from the driver's seat and nearly pulling her to the ground. I stood with Alex and the able-bodied men in the back, watching as Mother's eyes grew wide at Aunt Betsey's clawing and sobbing and wondered what it was that happened in our absence to upset her so.

"Why, Aunt Betsey! What is the matter with you? What has happened?" There was some feeling in Mother's voice again.

"Aw, Missus Lanton!" she manage to choke out. "Missus Lanton, I gets so scared bein' alone! I's so afraid that straggluhs would find the house an' kill me! We need a man in the house for to keep us safe! I's so afraid! Please say dat you found Mistuh Lanton an' he won't be away no more!"

As I quietly removed myself from the buggy, I watched Mother's face fall and her gaze drift off to some place beyond Aunt Betsey, some place that had no feeling and evoked no passion. The wagon rocked back and forth as Mammy Charlotte stood and landed with a grunt upon the ground, and she paced over to Aunt Betsey with heavy footsteps. She forcibly placed herself between Aunt Betsey and Mother.

"Betsey, we ain't found Mistuh Lanton, so doan you go sayin' nothin' else 'bout it."

Aunt Betsey's hands rose to her round face as she began to cry once more, but Mammy Charlotte grabbed her wrists and pulled them down again.

"Ch—Charlotte, there be too many strange mens in our country. They scares me so awful bad," Aunt Betsey managed to say. "Mistuh Lanton ain't have no bus'ness out in no war. He need to protect this house!" she cried out.

Mother's brow wrinkled, and she brought up her hands to conceal her face as she ran into the house sobbing. The raised hand that Mammy Charlotte had readied for the purpose of slapping Aunt Betsey was dropped to her side.

"Betsey, calm yourself down. We gots wounded men, an' they needin' to be brought in. They's strangers, but they ain't bad as far as I can tell."

As Aunt Betsey quit her bawling and quieted down, I realized that it was only William and me remaining in the wagon. I looked down at him, and the moonlight shone brightly upon his still face and revealed that he was too young to even shave. His eyes were half-open, and his bloodied chest heaved with every gasping breath he struggled to pull in. I heard another man clear his throat. I looked up at the edge of the buggy to see the fellow that was keeping guard during our ride, his hand outstretched toward me and the less fortunate limb still brought up to his chest.

"Miss, do come down now. The Negroes an' I will see to it that he is brought inside," he urged gently. The moonlight took advantage of his eyes, manifesting in them and giving off a soft glow.