Part 6

San groaned as the light hit her face. Her head hurt. She blinked several times trying to focus through the pain and stumbled towards the main house. It had taken her over an hour to get out of bed and get dressed. When she finally reached the house Rin was sitting across Grandma Bo, busy in conversation. The kitchen lady brought out breakfast and set it on the table between them. "Ahh agassi! I see you are up. Good morning" she greeted San. San managed to mumble a greeting back and made her way to sit at Rin's side. "How are you this morning?" Grandma Bo asked loudly. San cringed. Her hangover made her sensitive to light and noise. Why did I drink so much? Grandma Bo laughed. "Don't worry. Your hangover will be gone in no time once you have some of this special hangover remedy. Your husband here requested for it as soon as he woke up" the kitchen lady set up a bowl of a steaming hot, green soup. San took a mouthful expecting the worst but it actually tasted good and she felt instantly a little better. She smiled weakly at her food. She could feel Rin's eyes on her all the while but she couldn't make herself look at them. She remembered bits and pieces of her drunk endeavours from last night. It came back to her in flashes. She remembered him helping her walk back to their room. She remembered walking on a bridge....and hugging him. She cleared her throat in an attempt to clear her mind. She could feel herself blush. "Now that you both are here. I wanted to talk to you about something." Grandma Bo began. " as you know, our carriages leave to the big south city market in a few days. And normally we always have a big feast before they leave. I thought it'd be good this year to make it even more special and make it your wedding feast as well" San choked on her food and started coughing. Her eyes watered. Rin was still as if he turned to stone. "Careful. Eat slowly child" the old lady pushed a glass of water towards San who readily drank it. "I've already talked to the priests. We'll have the ceremony in the morning. Nothing too big of course. You said you didn't get a proper wedding so we all thought that it'd be the best gift we could give you both" "you really don't have to do that" San croaked. "Nonsense. I know we've known each other for a few days but you both feel like a part of our big family in this village. This is the least we could do. Don't say no" Grandma Bo said in a kind voice. San wanted to kick herself. Why did i drink at all? She didn't dare to look at Rin. what have i done! In her peripheral vision she could see Rin give the old lady a bow. He knew it was useless to argue with her. "Now eat up. You are both going to be late for work. And So Hwa, it's your first day helping Master Dong at the school. Hurry up"

San walked slowly down the main street as people began their own day. Rin walked besides her trying not to worry over the silence between them. This was the first time they were alone since Grandma Bo's announcement and neither knew what to say. They both tried protesting but the old lady was stubborn as ever. Accepting defeat, they had left the house together. Now they didn't know what to say. San had insisted that she remembered nothing from her drunk adventure last night. She's lying. She remembers. At least some of it. She remembered the wedding talk. Is that really all she remembers? Rin wondered glancing at her. San did everything in her power not to look at him. And it made her heart ache. "Agassi!" suddenly Rin's arms were around her pulling her to a side. It took her minute to realize that she was almost run over by a cart. It took her less than a minute to realize how close Rin was to her. She could feel the heat of his body against her back. "Are you okay?" he asked softly. Only when she managed a nod did he let her go. She staggered a step away from him and focused on fixing her dress. "Agassi, you need to be more careful" Rin said in a firm tone. "Didn't i tell you not to call me agassi" San said before she could stop herself. Rin was quiet for a while. She didn't dare to look at him. "So you do remember" he said teasingly. She looked at everywhere else but his face. "We've reached the blacksmith's workshop. You should head to work. I don't want to be late on the first day" she hurried away. She didn't get very far when Rin appeared at her side. "Where are you going? Your workplace is that way" she pointed at the alley way they just passed. "I know. But i'm going to walk you to the school" he said walking ahead. San finally looked at him. He was looking straight ahead. "You'll be late for work" she insisted. "I've got time. Come on"

They walked in silence, each lost in their thoughts. Once in awhile they dared a glance at each other making sure not to make eye contact. Rin was as usual composed. What's going on in his head? Why can't i read his mind? Why is it making me so anxious? San thought worriedly. Why does she look so worried? Does she really hate the idea of getting married to me that much? Is something else bothering her? Why can't i figure out what's on her mind? He wondered. They stopped as they reached the gate of the school. "I'll see you in the evening" Rin said flatly. San nodded. Neither moved. San stared at his face trying to read it one last time before he left. No luck. "Are you feeling okay?" she asked unable to contain herself. "Erm...yes. Why do you ask?" he asked. "It's just you look pale and you don't even smile like you normally do" she said, the eyes full of concern. "Well.....it's because of you" he said in a somber voice. " me? what did i do?" she asked half - defensive, half - concerned. "I'm not smiling because asked me not to." She looked confused. "Last night....on the bridge...." Rin teased. San turned bright red as the memories flooded in. "i...i don't know what you are talking about" she couldn't meet his eyes. Rin looked at her closely. He was so close that San had no other choice but to look at his face. "Really?" he said, as he broke into one of his lopsided grins. Her heart beat fast. Her face flushed. And she couldn't help but return his smile. She frowned at him teasingly and stepped towards the school when he grabbed her hand. She didn't turn around not sure of what her face looked like. Every cell in her body felt like it was on fire. "If you really don't want this wedding to happen, I will do everything to stop it " he said gently. "But i do hope you know that....your decision to follow me when i couldn't follow you....it's the best thing that's happened to me. I'm glad you are here....with me" with that he let go of her hand and left before she could say anything. She didn't know what to say. So she watched him walk away.