Part 2

They left early the next morning, making their way to the next village. It wasn't too far away so they reached the little village before it got too dark. They walked around the vibrant and busy village looking for a place to stay. Many people pointed them to an old house and said the old lady that they all called "Grandma Bo" would help them. Rin went in and greeted the lady while San stayed outside watching the children play in the garden. "Yes?" she was a small lady but her voice had so much authority Rin dared not to look her in the eye. " we are looking for a place to stay" he said glancing at San. Grandma Bo got up and walked to Rin and looked at him from head to toe. Then she peeked out to take a look at San who was busy smiling at the children. Suddenly the sky growled and drops of rain began falling. The children screamed and ran for cover, when the smallest and probably the youngest girl of the lot slipped and fell. As the rain around her became heavier she began crying. San dropped her bag and immediately ran to the girl. Kneeling beside her in the mud she helped the girl up and wiped her tears. Rin quickly pulled a robe out of his bag and ran to them. He held the robe above their heads and said "you're getting drenched. You'll catch a cold." San looked up her hair sticking to the sides of her face. She stood up and pulled the girl close her and grabbed hold of one end of the robe above their heads. " so will you if you keep holding that away from yourself" she said. Rin let go of the corner she was holding on to and put his arm around her to keep her from getting even more wet. She smiled at Rin and looked down at the girl. "Come on, let's go". They rushed towards the main house for cover where the old lady was watching them from. The little girl smiled and ran to join her friends. "Are you okay?" Rin asked shaking his robe in an attempt to rid of it some water. She smiled and nodded. " Fine. You and your wife can stay here." The old lady announced and went into her room. Rin and San stared after her, confused.

"AAchhhhoooo" San sneezed loudly. It hadn't been that long since she had gotten wet and yet here she was sneezing. She wiggled her nose. Rin was still with the old lady taking business. He had asked her to go to the room they were given and change before she caught the cold. Too late, she thought grimly. She had changed into warm dry clothes and began drying off her hair. She looked around the room. It was a small room with a small bed on the side and a cabinet beside it. But it was warm and well lit and most importantly comfortable. She sneezed again as Rin walked in. He opened his mouth to say something when San said "yes, yes. You told me i'll catch a cold and look, i did." Rin chuckled and walked to her. He made her sit on the bed and grabbed the cloth off her hands. He gently began drying her hair. " Grandma Bo said she will send us some medicine in a bit. She could here you sneeze all the up to the main house. She also said we can have food with her in the main house. She gives food to all her guests." "i don't want to eat anything. I just want to sleep." San groaned. Rin stopped drying her hair and bent down so that they were face to face. " you don't want to eat? Hmmmm maybe you are sicker than i thought" he teased. San began to protest but was interrupted by her own sneezing. Rin chuckled and began on her hair again. "We can stay here for the next 10 days. They have a group of carriages taking some goods to the south leaving in 10 days. They said we can go with them." Rin looked at her hair. He had done a much as he can. She looked up at him. "So go to sleep as much as you want. And get some rest." he said as there was a knock on the door. Rin answered it and walked back to San with a tray. He placed the tray on the cabinet and handed her the bowl of medicine. She grimaced at the sight. "I told them we were So Hwa and Su In. hope you don't mind" Rin said quietly. San gave him a sad smile and nodded. "Drink" Rin gently pushed the bowl towards her lips. She pouted and drank it all in one go.

San woke up and looked around. It was dark in the room so she blinked allowing her eyes to adjust. The medicine had knocked her out as soon as she took it. She looked around the room until her eyes finally found Rin fast asleep on the ground next to the bed. He looked peaceful and she couldn't help but stare. Her nose was not itchy as before so she was glad but her stomach burned in hunger. She got out of the bed slowly and tiptoed to the door. She opened the door slightly and peeked out. The main house was only lit by the moonlight. Everyone was asleep. Her stomach growled. "Finally feeling hungry?" San jumped and turned around. Rin was no longer asleep. He was sitting on the ground with a smile on his face. "No. i was just looking around." she walked and sat down on the bed, but her stomach betrayed her and growled again. Rin chuckled. "I'll go find something to eat." he got up. "No no. don't wake anyone up" she grabbed his arm. "I won't. You light up the lamp and wait Lady San. i'll be right back" he patted her hand on his arm reassuringly and left.

After what seemed ages Rin came back with a bowl of hot milk porridge. She got up and sat on the ground. "It smells good. But you shouldn't have woken the kitchen lady" she said as he placed the bowl in her hands. She took a spoonful and put it in her mouth. "Careful! It's too hot" Rin said as San huffed and her burned tongue. "Be patient." Rin said sitting in front of her and taking the bowl into his hands. He took a spoonful and blew at it to cool it down. "Here" he extended the food to her and she ate hungrily. "Mmmmm" San groaned happily. "Is it okay?" Rin asked. She nodded chewing away. He smiled and took another spoonful and blew at it and offered it to her. "You eat" she said. "You are the one who's hungry" he refused. " you didn't eat anything either. So eat." she grabbed his hand and turned it so the spoon faced him. He took a mouthful without much protest. He was hungry. He hadn't had any dinner. But how did she know that, he wondered. How does she always know? He pondered as he chewed on his food.