Part 1

It had been two days since they said goodbye to their beloved friend and left behind everything and everyone they knew. The lodging for the first night had been a comfortable house owned by a friend of San's late father. Rin looked at the lodgings they had for tonight. It was incredibly small and damp. San was laying down a blanket the landlady had given on arrival. Her stomach growled loudly. She stopped and placed a hand on her stomach and sighed. Rin looked down at the rice ball in his hand. It was all he could acquire in this almost deserted little town. He hadn't want to take too much from the people who already had too little. He cleared his throat and walked to San and held up the rice ball. She smiled and took it hungrily. Rin sat across her on the blanket and watched her dig into it. She took a huge mouthful and closed her eyes enjoying her food. Rin couldn't help but smile. San opened her eyes with a smile. She slowly chewed her food and swallowed. "Why aren't you eating? Where's your food?" she asked. "I'm fine. I'm not that hungry." Rin replied quickly. "You, eat" he gently pushed San's hand towards her mouth. San pouted and extended her half eaten rice ball towards Rin. He shook his head. San sighed and shoved the rice ball in his mouth. "You need to eat. We have far to travel." Rin tried not to cough and chewed slowly. "Good" San smiled with satisfaction and attacked the rice ball herself once more.

They split the rice ball between them and it was gone within minutes. Rin took out the little container of wine he'd been keeping away from San for the past two days and poured a glass. San's face lit up at the sight of it. "Only one glass" Rin said firmly. San's face fell a little. "It's so you can have a drink for couple of more nights" he said. San gave a little smirk, chugged down the drink and smacked her lips, pleased. " i'm sorry you have to bear so much hardship" Rin said quietly. "You should have taken that master's offer and gone and lived in his villa by the sea" he said. " i know you left because you didn't want to be the crown prince's weakness anymore. But you didn't have to come here and go through such hardship" San set the glass aside and looked at Rin. " you are right. I left because because i didn't want to be used to bring his highness down. But that's not why i'm here" Rin looked at San confused. "Remember that day, up in the mountains? You told me you couldn't keep your promise. You told me you couldn't follow me anymore. So i decided i'll follow you instead. Whatever it takes. Wherever it takes us" she replied softly. Rin just stared at her. San smiled gently. "What?" she asked feeling her cheeks burn. He simply shook his head and gave her one his bright lopsided grins. Flustered, San looked away. "I'm going to sleep" she announced and laid on the blanket facing away from Rin. He gently pulled one of his robes over her and tucked her in. She kept her eyes close, pretending to be asleep but she could feel his gaze on her. She grabbed the edge of the robe and pulled it over her head to make sure he didn't see her face which she was sure was now bright red.