It was a restless night. No matter how many times Ezra twisted and turned, sleep continued to evade her as her mind whirled through a thousand different thoughts, switching from Noah to Shinah to her mother without any rhyme or reason. Eventually she just stared at the stars overhead, waiting for the morning to come.

~~~

The next day around noon, Ezra and Shinah walked through the dirty streets of the small town in which they were supposed to regroup with Yona and the others.

"Coming through!"

Ezra hurriedly dodged out of the way as Tae-Jun came sprinting by, a splashing bucket of water carried in his arms. He seemed so intent on getting to his destination that he didn't even recognize Ezra or Shinah.

"Uhh..." Ezra glanced over at Shinah, her brows furrowed in confusion. "You sure this is the right place?" Dozens soldiers were bustling about carrying various items that ranged from firewood to water to rags. They all seemed so involved in their tasks that they didn't give either of them a second glance. 

Shinah nodded, raising a finger to point towards the east. "Yona and the others are that way."

Ezra followed Shinah to a spacious hut near the rear of the town. Shinah opened the door to reveal Yun leaning over a few sick villagers who lay on mats on the floor, replacing the wet rags on their foreheads. Yona and Hak stood off to the side.

"Ez!" Yona cried out in excitement as soon as she caught sight of the two of them entering the hut. She leaped forward, throwing her arms around her friend. "You're back!"

Ezra laughed, squeezing Yona's shoulders. "Did you miss me?"

"Not really," Hak drawled in a bored voice.

Ezra shot him a glare over Yona's head. "Wasn't asking you, Thunder Beast."

Yun glanced up from his work, his blue eyes crinkling with his smile. "Welcome back, you two."

"Thanks, Yun," Ezra responded, returning his smile.

"How did everything with your brother go?" Yona asked.

"Better than expected," Ezra told her, her eyes sparkling with happiness. "He may not forgive me, but he doesn't hate me."

"That's great, Ez!" Yona laughed cheerfully.

"Anyways, what's happening here?" Ezra asked. "Why is Tae-Jun here with all of his soldiers?"

"Oh, that." Yun shrugged with disinterest. "Tae-Jun wanted to help this village, so he set up his headquarters here and is working on cleaning the village, helping the sick, and bringing in food and other supplies."

Ezra raised an eyebrow. "Wow. That's... impressive."

"It was my idea. Of course it's impressive."

Ezra rolled her eyes. "Of course. Humble as ever, I can see."

"I'm a pretty boy genius," Yun retorted playfully. "I don't see any point in being humble."

Yona laughed. "It's true that you're good at everything, Yun."

"Don't inflate his ego!" Ezra complained.

Yun smirked, standing up and wiping his hands off on his clothes. "In any case, I'm done here. I need to get some water, and you two," he pointed to Ezra and Shinah, "are going to help me."

"I want to help, too!" Yona chimed.

"Nope," Hak said immediately. "Outside is swarming with soldiers. You're staying here."

"So are you, Thunder Beast," Yun grumbled. "You are your brutish weapon are also recognizable. Come on, guys."

He turned and left the hut without another word, and Ezra and Shinah sheepishly followed him out. Yona grumbled about not being able to do anything while Hak pat her head to console her.

"It looks like Tae-Jun's done a lot of good in this place in just a few days," Ezra commented, glancing around at the bustle of activity happening in the small village.

Yun smiled. "One of his men got sick, and Tae-Jun nursed him back to health. Now all of the soldiers are learning to care for the weak and the ill."

Warmth blossomed in Ezra's heart when she noticed one of the soldiers kneeling down by a sick man's side, offering water from his flask. Compassion that was previously absent from the Fire Tribe officials lined the soldier's smiling face.

"You've done well, Yun." Ezra's soft voice was full of pride and admiration. "You've done really well."

Yun shot her a grin. "I know. But thanks."

~~~

Later that night, Ezra and Shinah were finally reunited with the rest of the group around a roaring campfire. Zeno cheered at their return and pulled the both of them into a large hug. Jaeha offered Ezra a wink and a smirk which she pointedly ignored while Kija rejoiced over the return of his dragon brother. Then the Hakuryu's eyes slid to Ezra and he gave her a tight grin.

"Welcome back," he said amiably.

"Don't be so cold, White Snake," Ezra teased. "I know you missed me."

"Whatever." But a small smile played around the corners of Kija's lips, and Ezra had to laugh. Despite the often teasing words the two of them exchanged, she knew she could count on Kija as one of the few true friends she'd ever made in her short life.

"Guys." Yun's unusually serious voice caught their attention, and everyone's eyes turned towards the boy. "I have something to say."

"What is it, Yun?" Yona asked with a concerned frown.

Yun looked away, his eyes turning towards the western horizon where they'd watched the sun set not too long before. "I'm leaving the Fire Tribe."

"What?" Ezra snapped. Hak spit out the water he'd just drank in shock while everyone else stared at the strawberry-blond with their jaws on the floor.

Yun sighed. "What we're doing here isn't going to help the Fire Tribe in the long run. I want to find a solution... a permanent solution."

Ezra stared at him. "How?" she asked.

Yun put his hand to his chin in thought, his blue eyes narrowed. "There has to be something... some kind of crop that would grow in these conditions. If we could find a stable food supply that would grow in the Fire Tribe, then the people wouldn't have to go hungry."

Ezra's eyes widened in shock. "Do you think a crop like that exists?"

Determination settled over Yun's expression. "I have to. It's the only way to help the Fire Tribe in the long run."

"We're coming with you." Yona's voice rang with finality, and the camp was silent for a few seconds.

Ezra held up her hands. "There's no arguing with the boss lady!" she chuckled.

Hak shrugged. "I've got no problem with it."

"Sounds interesting," Jaeha mused.

"Zeno will try all the food to make sure it's good enough for the Fire Tribe!" Zeno cheered.

"I'd like to see more of Kouka and the surrounding kingdoms," Kija agreed.

Shinah simply nodded.

"It's settled, then!" Yona grinned. "We'll be off in a few days."