VIII

Erika turned to look at Ragnar, who had just entered the kitchen. Hearing Haldor growl, she swung her gaze back to him. "Who is he talking about? Haldor, What is gong on?" Haldor merely lifted her in his arms again. This time though, instead of going back up to the bedroom, he carried her through a doorway in the kitchen that she had not previously noticed. As they began to descend a series of curving stone steps, Erika went rigid in Haldor's arms.

"Haldor, you and Ragnar are scaring me. What's going on? Who is "he" and why are you worried about him being here?" When Haldor's face become a grim mask she screamed at him. "Dammit, you crazy viking! Tell me what in the hell is going on. I have a right to know!"

She felt his arms tighten around her before setting her feet on the floor and allowing her to stand. "The "he" we are concerned about is the assassin that was sent to kill you. Erika, this is the only time that you have made it to adulthood. Every time you are born, that bastard finds you and kills you. Usually, by the time you reach ten or twelve years old. The first time, your mother was pregnant with you when her killed her, thus killing you. The second time, you were thrown down a well and drowned at two. The third time, well, he didn't have to intervene. You contracted influenza and dies at the age of thirteen. He always manages to find you before I do. This time however, I have you. And by the gods, I will protect you. Hel will not have you this time. Not until we are old and grey. I refuse to let that whoreson take you from me again!"

Erika looked around her at the room she was standing in. It had stone walls. The stones were rough hewn and large. The more Erika looked the more she realized that she knew this room. She was as familiar with this room as she was her own face. "This is the old armory. We are in the old stronghold. This was home, wasn't it? What happened to it. Is this all that's left of it?" Erika turned her face to her husband as tears rolled down her cheeks in silver trails.

"Don't cry, lass. You break my heart to see you hurt like this. Yes, this is what's left of our home. The keep fell into disrepair during the last two centuries and was allowed to crumble. I built our new home on the foundation of the old one. You know that a house is only as good as it's foundation. You also know that the foundation of the stronghold is very strong." Haldor wrapped his arms around his wife trying to comfort her. Ylva had loved this old place and to know that it had fallen to ruin was probably tearing her apart. "As for the man, well he's your uncle's man. An assassin. He has followed you through the centuries. As for this room, it's still an armory. love. Only this time, the weapons are not swords, spears and axes. They are guns. Very sophisticated guns. And they are also very quiet. Ragnar is going to take a few of our security team and go into the village to see if they can find this man. He will not be allowed to take you from me again."

***********************************************************************************************

Hope you enjoy it. I was stuck for a few days. Sp, when inspiration hit, I jumped on it. Don't forget to vote and/or comment.

Oh yeah. I misinformed you guys last update. Eartha Kitt played Catwoman in the old Batman series. The was Etta James.