12. Texting and Flying

4.1.24

I wake up the morning we're leaving Vegas and sigh. Things were already beyond complicated with Josh and returning home was only going to make it worse. I was literally stuck in the middle of a love triangle. Stupid triangle.

I climb out of bed and decide to take a quick shower. My phone vibrates on my nightstand and I look down to find Nick's name flashing on the screen. I reach for my phone but before I can wrap my hand around it there's a knock on my door. I look between the door and my phone and groan as I abandon my phone and move towards the door.

I pull it open and find Josh standing on the other side with a small bag and a coffee carrier in his hands. "Coffee?" he smiles. My heart flutters as I nod and move out of the way to let him in.

"How early did you get up?" I laugh as he sets the bag on the small table before handing me my coffee.

"Like an hour ago" he shrugs. "But I only left my room about ten minutes ago. There's literally a Starbucks in the lobby" he explains. I giggle as I sip my drink.

"Here I was thinking you got up early for little ole me" I smirk.

"I mean I would've. If we were staying married and I was getting something out of it" he says making me chuckle.

"Oh shut it" I wave him off as I place my coffee down on the nightstand while I move to start packing. "You got some from me already on this trip."

"We were drunk. That doesn't count."

"What?" I laugh, turning to face him. "We had sex. At least you remember it" I add softly as I turn back around to my suitcase.

"You remember parts" he says, attempting to be helpful.

"I know" I add, "I just wish I remembered more than parts" I confess. "I've never gotten drunk like that and this is exactly why I don't."

"It's Vegas" he shrugs. I feel his arms slip around my waist and a smile tugs at my lips. "You had a good time out with the girls, got beyond tipsy and they called an Uber to bring you back to the hotel early" he fabricates as he kisses my shoulder and steps away. I quickly turn to face him confused.

"What?"

"Your story for Nick" he shrugs. "He wants to believe that you and I avoided each other this entire trip. He won't try to argue with you. We'll get the annulment and he'll never know. I promised you I'd let this go away."

My head is spinning as I stare at him. This man who I've loved all my life and who I know still loves me yet is willing to let me go to make me happy.

"We'll get the annulment" I nod, taking a step towards him. "But I don't know Josh. Being with you again this weekend has stirred up feelings that I thought were gone-."

"Thought?" he cuts me off.

"They're still there. I had buried them because it hurt too much but they're there. This is so damn complicated because I know that Nick is the logical choice but he's not-." I cut myself off before I say the words. If I admit to him and myself that Nick isn't the one I want then there's no turning back.

"He's not what?" Josh presses as he takes a step towards me.

"Maya have you seen Josh? We're gonna miss the damn flight" Lucas knocks on my door.

"We gotta go" I say softly as I turn around to grab my suitcase.

He groans but steps away from me regardless. "We'll talk later" he says before leaving the room.