"He lied to me."

"I know that. But from what he said, he was stuck between his feelings for you and his job. By the time he realised he was in love with you, the charade had gone so far it was difficult for him to turn back."

"Difficult, but not impossible. He didn't even try."

"If he'd told you one day over coffee, would you have reacted differently?"

"Well, uh..."

The truth was, probably not. It would have felt as though he'd stabbed me through the heart no matter how he'd revealed his true identity.

"Exactly. Just give him a chance to talk to you."

She was right, wasn't she? I needed to talk to him, and I couldn't put it off forever. The pain over his absence hadn't eased in the slightest. What if it never did?

"If I ask him to come over, will you stick around?"

"Absolutely."

"Could you pass the phone?"

My hand shook as I waited for him to pick up, but that only lasted for a second. His voice came down the line almost immediately.

"Akari?"

"Yes."

"Sweetheart, are you okay? I've been so worried about you."

"Am I okay? I don't know. We need to talk."

"Anytime. Now?"

"Not on the phone. Can you come over?"

"I'm on my way."

I paced the living room, waiting for Linc to arrive

I paced the living room, waiting for Linc to arrive. How long would he take to get here? Half an hour? Twenty minutes if he broke all the speed limits?

I'd got dressed in a pair of black trousers and an embroidered silk blouse, then decided that looked like I was trying too hard and changed into jeans and a sweater. Was the lipstick too much? I stared at my gaunt reflection in the mirror before grabbing a tissue and wiping it off. A mirror I'd refused to look in before he'd changed me. Did I really want to go back to how I was before?

"Can I do anything to help?" Sofia asked.

"Is there any more wine?"

She gave me a sharp look. "Too early. Talk first, then wine. Although you might find you don't need it."

"Maybe."

Perhaps I'd need a bucket to vomit into instead. Right now, the pancakes I'd enjoyed an hour ago were making their presence known again. I checked my watch. He'd be here any minute.

"You promise you won't leave?"

"I'll take Hisashi into the nursery, but I'm not going anywhere. Holler if you need me."