Chapter 4

The flight booked for me came with extra legroom and all the canapés I could eat. Daiki drove us to the airport, a sad smile on his face.

My mother, of course, surpassed that. She dabbed at her eyes with a handkerchief as she stood between the stoic frames of my father and brother, and I almost cancelled my ticket.

Almost.

Instead, I shifted Hisashi into one arm and gave Okasan a hug.

"I'll be back next week. You'd better have the tea waiting."

"And then you'll leave again."

"I doubt that. Chances are, I won't be good enough."

"Of course they'll want you. As soon as they hear you play, they'll offer you a place."

I wished I shared her conviction. Locusts hopped in my stomach, and I wasn't sure whether to be nervous or excited.

"We'll see."

She turned away. "I already know."

My brother tucked an arm around my shoulders. "The thought of losing you again is hard for her."

And him. He'd spent most of yesterday trying to convince me not to go, and every day before that. First, he'd gently explained how much they'd all miss me. When I didn't change my mind, he'd looked up the crime statistics in Boston and attempted to scare me into staying. And yesterday, when I said I still wanted to go, he played dirty and fetched my therapist.

I knew he meant well, but didn't he understand pulling stunts like that only made me want to leave more? I'd always love my brother, but I couldn't live with his nonstop over-protectiveness. Not truly live with the freedom I'd craved for so many years.

And now I tried, and failed, to hold back a sigh as he made his final stand—the guilt trip at the airport.

"She's not losing me. I'll call her every day, I promise."

Hiro turned away from me, unhappy, and I tried to placate him.

"I'll call you too."

Nothing.

My father took my free hand, his face blank. "We're proud of you, Akari, but that doesn't make your departure any easier."

"I know, Otasan. But I need to do this."

He let go of my hand and took a step back. "Ganbatte." Do your best.

I nodded, my own eyes filling with tears. Of course I would.

Hisashi cried as the aeroplane took off, and I had to endure glares from the other passengers in first class

Hisashi cried as the aeroplane took off, and I had to endure glares from the other passengers in first class. Since I'd only be away for a few days, I'd considered leaving him at home with my parents, but every time I imagined boarding the plane without him, I felt sick. He had to stay by my side.