Chapter Four: Spaceships and Tears

Start from the beginning

"What's wrong?" Emily asked.

"Come on, use your eyes. Notice everything. What's wrong with this picture?"

"Is it the bicycles? Bit unusual on a spaceship, bicycles."

"Says the girl in the nightie."

Amy looked horrified. "Oh my God, I'm in my nightie."

"Now, come on, look around you. Actually look."

"London Market is a crime-free zone."

"Life on a giant starship. Back to basics. Bicycles, washing lines, wind-up street lamps. But look closer. Secrets and shadows, lives led in fear. Society bent out of shape, on the brink of collapse. A police state." He runs over to a table with two people. "Excuse me."

He takes a pint glass of water from the table and puts it on the floor. He looks at it for a moment then returns it to the table.

"What are you doing?"

"Sorry. Checking all the water in this area. There's an escaped fish. Where was I?"

Emily was confused. "Why did you just do that with the water?"

"Don't know. I think a lot. It's hard to keep track. Now, police state. Do you see it yet?"

"Where?" Amy asked.

"There."

He pointed to the weeping girl, all alone. The Doctor and the two sisters go to her and a Winder watches them.

[Tower]

A field telephone rings. A thin faced man answers whilst watching the Doctor on a screen.

"Are you sure?"

"Saw it myself. Are you going to tell her?"

"We're under orders to tell her." He replied, taking a moment to think.

"Well done. Keep tabs on him. Have there been any sightings of Her?"

"Yes."

"Are you sure it's Her? The one from the painting?"

"I'm positive."

"Good. You know what to do."

He hangs up and dials different number.

"Sorry to interrupt. There's been a sighting. London block, Oxford Street. A man."

"Did he do the thing?"

"Apparently."

"I'll have a look on the monitors."

[London Market]

"One little girl crying. So?" Amy questioned.

"Crying silently." He replied.

Emily saw her sisters confusion. "Children cry because they want attention, because they're hurt or afraid. But when they cry silently, it's because they just can't stop." She said sadly.

"Any parent knows that." The Doctor agreed, looking at Emily.

Amy looked at him in surprise. "Are you a parent?"

The Doctor ignored her. "Hundreds of parents walking past who spot her and not one of them's asking her what's wrong, which means they already know, and it's something they don't talk about. Secrets. They're not helping her, so it's something they're afraid of. Shadows, whatever they're afraid of, it's nowhere to be seen, which means it's everywhere. Police state."