Chapter 16: Victoria's Secret

Start from the beginning

She grabs random articles of clothing, random things from her bed, from under her bed, from her closet. She sets them on the floor and walks out of the bedroom.

A moment later she comes back with a suitcase. She puts all of the things in there, putting the crochet blanket on the top.

_____

When we got back to Colorado, I couldn't wait to get home and see my Mom, but I was sad when I realized I wouldn't see Odeletta every day.

I really like Harper. She's funny and her and Odeletta get along really well. I suppose I would consider her a friend.

So we get to the apartment after leaving the airport.

When we walk in the door, Mom is making dinner.

She turns around when she hears the front door shut.

I walk straight into the kitchen.

"You guys are home!" She smiles.

I pull her into a hug.

She lets out a noise of surprise before hugging me back.

"Nate, sweetie, what's wrong?" She asks.

After nearly a minute, I pull away.

"I'm sorry, Mommy." I say, expecting to hear Mason, who is now standing in the kitchen, to laugh at me for calling her Mommy, but he doesn't. "I cried for over an hour in a bathroom in a restaurant my second night there because the people to be executed were Odeletta's parents, and back when she was here I told her she probably never talks to her Mom. That's why she slapped me those few weeks ago, and I realized how horrid I've been. So I'm going to try, okay? I want to be the person that you raised me to be."

"Okay." She says gently. "I'm proud of you, Nathan."

I smile.

_____

"Ask her!" Harper hisses, shoving me towards the door to the café exit. Today is our third day back at class and me, Mason, Harper, Odeletta and kind of Brenda have formed this best friend group and it's great. It's really fun. We have so much fun here. We got out of our classes and after this we're going to the mall. Brenda is here, watching as I cringe at the exit to the café. Odeletta went outside to call her Mom back. She seems so much happier. She's still sassy, but I never realized how hilarious she was. Her humor reminds me of her Dad, but her looks remind me of her Mom.

Her parents are great people, very funny, and her Aunt Rosalie is really sweet and gentle. She gets on great with her Mom. She's given us the privilege of calling her Odette since Odeletta is a mouthful

I mean, come on oh-dee-le-tah is a lot to say.

Odette is much easier.

Everyone at the table knows I have a thing for her, and next Wednesday is Valentine's Day, and all three of them are trying to convince me to go out there and ask her on a date, but I can't.

"Pussy!" Harper says, putting her hands around her mouth. Brenda looks at her.

"That's rude." She says. She looks at me. "It's okay, Natalie." She smiles a sickly sweet smile at me. "I'm sure Odeletta will say yes."

"Don't call me Natalie." I say.

Brenda is the only one that Odette never told her to call her Odette.

"Hurry, before she comes inside!" Harper says after shooting an annoyed glance at Brenda. I fight a laugh. Her and Odette are practically best friends already and nobody likes Brenda. She's annoying.