Crookshanks: Year 3/Summer

Start from the beginning

"How long has he been here?" She asked, stroking the top of his head with one hand before grabbing her bag with the other.

"Almost ten years, now. No one's ever taken an interest in him until now," The witch replied, smiling slightly as Hermione placed her ten Galleons on the counter.

"I'll take him," There wasn't a hint of doubt in Hermione's voice.

The witch nodded, handing her a woven basket as well.

"Oh, and here's your friends rat tonic. Free of charge, I'm so sorry about that incident," She pushed the tiny red bottle toward them, and then her attention went elsewhere as yet another customer entered the store.

They both left the store, spotting Harry and a very disgruntled Ron coming towards them.

"You bought that monster?" Ron exclaimed, his eyes wide and jaw dropped as he stared at her.

"He's gorgeous, isn't he?" Hermione beamed, her smile more radiant than Amisty had ever seen.

"Hermione, that thing nearly scalped me!" Ron protested.

"He didn't mean to, did you, Crookshanks," Hermione cooed, ignoring the redheads furious expression.

"And what about Scabbers? He needs rest and relaxation! How's he going to get it with that thing around?" He demanded, pointing at the tiny lump in his shirt pocket.

It was moving slightly, probably with Scabber's breathing.

"That reminds me, you forgot your rat tonic," Hermione handed him the bottle. "And stop worrying, Crookshanks will be sleeping in my dormitory and Scabbers in yours, what's the problem? Poor Crookshanks, that witch said he'd been in there for ages; no one wanted him."

"I wonder why," Ron groaned, the sarcasm heavy on his voice as he glared at the ginger cat.

They walked into the Leaky Cauldron, where Mr. Weasley was sitting at the bar with the Daily Prophet in his hands.

"Harry! Amisty! How are you two?" He asked cheerfully, eyes bright as he looked up at them from over his paper.

"Fine, thanks," Harry replied as they started walking toward him with all of their shopping.

"Good, how are you?" Amisty followed, setting down her books as Mr. Weasley put down his paper.

There was a picture of Sirius Black on the front page, not a surprise to any of them.

"Good as well. Thank you, Amisty," Mr. Weasley replied warmly, smiling over at her.

"They still haven't caught him, then?" Harry asked, pointing at the paper with a serious expression.

"No. They've pulled us all off our regular jobs at the Ministry to try and find him, but no luck so far," Mr. Weasley's facial expression changed to grave.

"Would we get a reward if we caught him? It'd be good to get some more money -- " Ron started.

"Don't be ridiculous, Ron. Black's not going to be caught by a thirteen-year-old wizard. It's the Azkaban guards who'll get him back, you mark my words," Mr. Weasley cut him off, his voice firm.

Just as he finished talking, Fred and George, Percy, Ginny, and Mrs. Weasley entered, all carrying bags.

Ginny went red at the sight of Harry, a very quiet greeting leaving her mouth.

"Ginny!" Amisty grinned, getting up from where she was sitting and tugging the younger girl into a tight hug.

"Oh, hi, Amisty! How are you?" Ginny beamed up at her, face still flushed scarlet.