Hagrid's Gone: Year 2

Start from the beginning

He dropped the platter.

Amisty sat frozen in her seat, only moving when Harry grabbed her arm and dragged her off into the corner along with Ron.

They threw the Cloak over themselves, with Hagrid giving them one last glance to make sure they were hidden before opening the door.

"Good evening, Hagrid," A familiar voice greeted.

Hagrid stepped aside, letting Dumbledore enter the cottage. The Headmaster wasn't alone, though, and a strangely dressed man followed after him.

"That's Dad's boss! Cornelius Fudge, the Minister of Magic!" Ron gasped almost inaudibly.

Harry jabbed him with his elbow before Amisty could, a warning to keep quiet.

"Bad business, Hagrid. Very bad business. Had to come. Four attacks on Muggle-borns. Things've gone far enough. Ministy's got to act," Fudge's voice was clipped, not a trace of any particular emotion.

"I never. You know I never, Professor Dumbledore, sir -- " Hagrid had gone pale, a bead of sweat trailing down the side of his face.

"I want it understood, Cornelius, that Hagrid has my full confidence," Dumbledore turned to Fudge, a frown tugging on his lips.

"Look, Albus. Hagrid's record's against him. Ministry's got to do something -- the school governers have been in touch -- " He replied, fidgeting.

"Yet again, Cornelius, I tell you that taking Hagrid away will not help in the slightest," Dumbledore argued.

His voice remained the deadly calm it always was, but his usually tranquil blue eyes were blazing.

"Look at it from my point of view. I'm under a lot of pressure. Got to be seen to be doing something. If it turns out it wasn't Hagrid, he'll be back and no more said. But I've got to take him. Got to. Wouldn't be doing my duty -- " He started.

"Take me? Take me where?" Hagrid interrupted, his voice shaking just as much as his body.

"For a short stretch only. Not a punishment, Hagrid, more a precaution. If someone else is caught, you'll be let out with a full apology -- " He replied hurriedly, as if he felt pity for Hagrid.

"Not Azkaban?" Hagrid's voice was hoarse, his coal black eyes were glassy with unshed tears.

There was another knock, stopping Fudge from answering.

This time Dumbledore answered it, opening the door to reveal Lucius Malfoy.

Harry gasped, earning a revenge jab from Ron.

If the situation wasn't as dire Amisty would've laughed.

"Already here, Fudge. Good, good..." The elder Malfoy's voice mirrored Draco's almost perfectly.

"Like father like son," Amisty thought to herself, scowling as the man's mouth curled up into a sneer.

"What're you doin' here? Get outta my house!" Hagrid leapt to his feet, furious at his appearance.

"My dear man, please believe me, I have no pleasure at all in being inside your -- er -- d'you call this a house? I simply called at the school and was told that the headmaster was here," Lucius Malfoy replied silkily, venom dripping from his words as he glanced around the hut with judging eyes.

"And what exactly did you want with me, Lucius?" Dumbledore asked calmly, his eyes not losing their blue flame.

"Dreadful thing, Dumbledore, but the governors feel it's time for you to step aside. This is an Order of Suspension -- you'll find all twelve signatures on it. I'm afraid we feel you're losing your touch. How many attacks have there been now? Two more this afternoon, wasn't it? At this rate, there'll be no Muggle-borns left at Hogwarts, and we all know what an awful loss that would be to the school," Malfoy replied, sounding bored.

"Oh, now, see here, Lucius. Dumbledore suspended -- no, no -- last thing we want just now -- " Fudge began.

"The appointment -- or suspension -- of the headmaster is a matter for the governors, Fudge. And as Dumbledore has failed to stop these attacks -- " He replied with a cruel smile.

"See here, Malfoy, if Dumbledore can't stop them. I mean to say, who can?" Fudge asked worriedly.

"That remains to be seen. But as all twelve of us have voted -- " Malfoy continued, unbothered by the growing tension.

"An' how many did yeh have ter threaten an' blackmail before they agreed, Malfoy, eh?" Hagrid bellowed, his hair brushing against the ceiling.

"Dear, dear, you know, that temper of yours will lead you into trouble one of these days, Hagrid. I would advise you not to shout at the Azkaban guards like that. They won't like it at all," Malfoy smirked, grey eyes stony.

Amisty stiffened under the Cloak, thinking back to an eerily similar conversation she had with that man's very own son.

"Yeh can' take Dumbledore! Take him away, an' the Muggle-borns won' stand a chance! There'll be killin' next!" Hagrid snarled.

"Calm yourself, Hagrid," Dumbledore scolded, turning his gaze onto Lucius Malfoy. "If the governors want my removal, Lucius, I shall of course step aside -- "

"But -- " Fudge started, his voice shaking.

"No!" Hagrid growled.

"However you will find that I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me. You will also fine that help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it," His gaze seemed to flicker to where the three were hiding and Amisty felt her breath hitch.

"Admirable sentiments. We shall all miss your -- er -- highly individual way of running things, Albus, and only hope that your successor will manage to prevent any -- ah -- killins," He mocked Hagrid's accent openly.

It took all of Amisty's self control not to throw off the Cloak and jinx the man right then.

Malfoy was the first to leave, Dumbledore following, and then it was only Fudge and Hagrid in the cabin.

Fudge was waiting for Hagrid to leave first.

"If anyone wanted ter find out some stuff, all they'd have ter do would be ter follow the spiders. That'd lead 'em right! That's all I'm sayin'," Hagrid announced loudly.

Amisty almost groaned aloud.

"All right, I'm comin'. An' someone'll need ter feed Fang while I'm away."

And with that, the door closed with a loud bang.

Ron tugged off the Cloak, "We're in trouble now. No Dumbledore. They might as well close the school tonight. There'll be an attack a day with him gone."

Fang was just as distressed as they fault, clawing and howling and scratching at the door.

He wanted Hagrid back and he wasn't the only one.