Hagrid's Gone: Year 2

Start from the beginning

Until next time, Amisty

Her writing had gotten a little shaky at the mention of Hermione, but she didn't bother rewriting it.

Instead, she rolled it up and walked over to the window where Echo was perched. She still wasn't very happy with her owl's antics, evident in how she tied the letter rather tightly to her leg.

Echo hooted softly as if apologizing, before flying away.

By then, it was only Lavender that was still awake, and even so, she was already drifting off to sleep.

Once Amisty heard her breathing pick up a steady beat, she slipped out of the girls' dormitory and down to the common room.

"Over here," Harry's whisper sounded from just outside the portrait hall, and she caught sight of a flicker of red hair as the two boys adjusted the Cloak.

Amisty nodded, scurrying toward them and ducking underneath.

She was met with two pairs of eyes, one green, one blue, but both glowing.

And so they set off, with careful steps and worried expressions.

The castle was crowded, pairs of teachers, prefects, and even ghosts walking around the halls with matching grim faces. She nearly had a heart attack when Ron happened to stub his toe right next to Professor Snape.

Luck seemed to be on their side, however, and the Potions master sneezed just as Ron cursed.

They reached the front doors without any more close calls, a relief shared by the three of them.

The night was filled with stars, with moonlight shining just as bright as the sun. Hagrid's cottage was spilling golden lights onto the grounds, telling them that their friend was still awake.

They hurried toward it, pulling off the Cloak as soon as they reached his door. Harry was the one who knocked, the door flying open only seconds later.

Hagrid stood there, crossbow in hand and Fang snarling behind him. But once he saw who they were he dropped the weapon.

"Oh. What're you three doin' here?" He asked, looking suspicious and confused.

Thankfully he didn't look angry.

"What's that for?" Harry pointed at the crossbow, avoiding the question and walking inside the cottage.

Amisty and Ron followed soon after.

"Nothin' -- nothin' -- I've bin expectin' -- doesn' matter -- Sit down -- I'll make tea -- " Hagrid stumbled over his words, ushering them to the table they had spent so many afternoons at.

His words weren't the only thing he stumbled over.

Hagrid was struggling to perform the simple task of making tea.

He spilled water all over the fire, almost extinguishing it, and then crushed the teapot after his hand twitched with nerves.

"Are you okay, Hagrid? Did you hear about Hermione?" Harry asked gently, his eyebrows furrowing in concern.

"Oh, I heard, all righ'," Hagrid replied, his voice cracking slightly.

Amisty watched him with worried eyes. Their friend kept glancing out the windows as he poured them mugs of hot water.

He had forgotten to add the tea bags in his haste to act casual.

When he was just about to drop a slice of fruitcake onto the table, someone knocked on the door.