Chapter 2: Love Sick

My precious daughter,

I hope your stay at Baekje is doing you good.
Everything here is just fine. Well, at least most things are.
I've started to plan a new project. How does the name
Hwarang sound?

Take as much time as you need, dear. I will take care of everything.

Your mother

"Please define taking 'care of everything', mother." I lay on the bed flat on my back and shut my eyes. It's nice being away from home but also worrisome. What in the world is this "Hwarang" thing she's planning? You know what, being away isn't therapeutic, it's making me more stressed.

"Silla needs you, brother. Please come back to us."

Later that day, I'm taking a stroll around the palace grounds when I encounter a martial arts class. It's love at first sight. Those elegant yet fierce movements, the determination in their eyes... Without further a-do, I find myself stepping in to get a better look. Immediately, all eyes turn to me. Not surprisingly, there are no girls in this class.

"Can I help you, Miss?" Asks a buff middle aged man who appears to be the instructor.

"I'm Duchess of Silla, Sookmyung. I'll be here for a while so I thought I'd become familiar with the palace grounds."

"Well, I'm the instructor, but... Are you really the princess?"

How dare he asks me that.

He seems to have understood the meaning of my glare, as he quickly bows his head down. "Y-Your Highness, how rude of me. What a pleasure it is to have you here."

The students seem puzzled but bow anyway.

"Teach me."

"Excuse me?" The instructor clarifies as if he's been asked to jump off a cliff.

"I want to learn martial arts. Teach me."

"C-certainly, Your Highness. It would be my honor." Now he has a great grin on his face. This will be fun.

Once I've returned to my room, I bathe and go straight to bed. It's been a long day. However, I'm disturbed by a knock on the door.

"Who is it?"

"Onjo. Can I come in?"

"Sure." I panic a little as I fix my hair and night gown. When I meet his gaze I grin.

"All settled in?" He asks as he shuts the door behind him and comes closer.

"Yeah."

Unexpectedly, he continues to close the space between us as he sits on the side of my bed. I lift my sheets up a bit, aware my eyes are swimming.

He chuckles. "It's okay, I won't bite."

I smile weakly at him.

"Did you enjoy exploring he palace grounds?" He asks me.

"I did. I met the martial arts instructor."

"Did you? Are you interested?"

"He's too old for me."

Onjo laughs. "No, I mean are you interested in martial arts?"

Oh. "You know, I think I am, actually. I've planned to meet with him tomorrow."

"Well, that's great." He smiles. "Can I join you?"

"Just so you can show off? Don't think I've forgotten your little ninja skills."

"Fine. But at least go riding with me tomorrow." He suggests flirtatiously.

I think that's the most romantic thing any guy's ever said to me. "Love to."

There's a brief silence as he repositions himself on my bed so he's facing me. It's a little less awkward now.

His expression turns serious as he says, "Sookmyung, about your brother...What will happen if you don't find him?"

I can hear the hesitation in his voice as he asks me this. He knows it's a sensitive subject. But the truth is, I like talking to Onjo about Jinheung. I have no one else to talk to.

"I will not rest until I do. He's not just a brother, he's the king of Silla. My people need him desperately."

"I... I was thinking, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, I'm just trying to help..."

"What?"

"If- And I'm not saying you won't find him - but if you don't, know that I'm here for you and I'll do whatever it takes to help you and your people."

"What...Are you saying?"

He startles me as he grabs my hands in his. "I'm saying that despite what close friends your brother and I are, I wouldn't be disappointed if he doesn't claim his throne because I can think of an alternative strategy." His face is so close to mine now, that I can barely breathe. My heart pounds like a drum. What's wrong with me? I think he might kiss me, when-

"Well," he says as he gets up. He's teasing me. "Good night, Princess. Sweet dreams."

"Good night." My heart is pounding in my chest. Oh god, is my condition getting worse?

I ring the little bell on my beside table to call the physician.