Even when darkness took him the pain didn't go away. It echoed through every part of his consciousness until he silently screamed for death to take him away, to a better place, to the other side. Where he would see Amalie again.

But even death refused to show him mercy, and some time later, Aldeheid found himself still in the land of the living. The sounds of hushed whispers and the smell of boiling herbs greeted him when he finally came to. A dull throb beat through his back in tandem with his pulse, and the wool blanket over his body itched his bare skin.

"I think he's finally waking," someone said.

When Aldeheid cracked his eyes, it took some time for his vision to clear. But when it did, the first person he saw was Wenry. She stood next to his bed, flanked by Jetei. Her eyes were red-rimmed and puffy, but a smile broke out on her face at the sight of him awake. "Al! You're ok!" She took his hand and squeezed it tight with both of hers.

"I told you he'd be fine," Jetei said, roughing up her hair.

"Move."

Wenry scrambled away and hid behind Jetei as Baldavin approached the bed. Aldeheid looked away from his King and focused on the ceiling over his head. He had nothing to say to Baldavin. Just the sight of him made Aldeheid nauseous. But he was curious about what the King would have to say to him.

How are you feeling Aldeheid? I'm happy you didn't die, Aldeheid. How can I make your journey to recovery more comfortable, Aldeheid?

Baldavin only glanced over him before looking at the medic. "How long before he can get out of this bed?"

Aldeheid almost laughed.

"Well that depends," the medic answered. "Aldeheid? How are you feeling?"

He turned his head towards the short, plump woman, happy for an excuse to not look at his king. "It hurts to breathe," he said, not recognizing the thin, rasping voice that escaped his lips. "I'm tired and I want to go back to sleep."

"There will be plenty of time to sleep when you're dead," the King said. "Do you remember who did this to you? What did they look like?"

Aldeheid exhaled a long breath. He didn't have the strength for this. But the quicker he answered, the quicker Baldavin would leave him alone. And so, he shook his head. The only thing he remembered vividly was the bite of the blade as it entered his back, and the memory of it sent a chill over him.

The King scoffed. "Of course you wouldn't. You haven't been of any use since that worthless cape of yours died."

Aldeheid wanted to strike him. But he doubted he could ball his fist much less throw it.

"Well, your Highness," the medic said. "He's been through a great deal of trauma. He will need time to rest and recover."

Baldavin only sighed and left without a word.

Aldeheid didn't realize how tense he was until the King left his bedside. The sound of the door clicking shut was more soothing that a hot bath at the end of a long day.

The Queen was the next person to grace his bedside, and a much more welcomed sight than her magician. She gave his hand a gentle squeeze as she smiled down on him. "You gave us all a scare."

He frowned. "I thought I was dead. Who found me?"

"Jayer did. He's helping the castle guard get to the bottom of this. You just focus on getting better alright? Nevermind what Baldavin thinks. If you're not feeling up to par, then you don't get out of this bed, alright?"

He nodded and reached a weak and shaking hand up to twist his earring. But all he felt was sticky balm. "Where's my earring?"

"I have it," the medic said. She took a cloth from his bedside table and unfolded it to show him the gaudy bauble nestled inside. But when he reached for it, she pulled it away. "I'm sorry I can't give it back just yet. You ear isn't healed, and if your toying with it enough to harm yourself, I'm not too keen on giving it back."

"I can keep it for you, Al," Wenry volunteered.

He was going to say no, until he saw her eager, doe-like eyes. "Alright. It's a very special earring, so take good care of it for me."

She took the folded up fabric and held it close to her heart. "I will." She puffed out her chest and stuck her chin in the air. "I'll guard it like a fierce and mighty dragon."

Queen Iyari chuckled and stroked Wenry's hair. "Let's go. Aldeheid needs to rest now."

Aldeheid watched his family leave and settled as comfortably as he could in the bedding. But as he shut his eyes, the reality of the situation struck him like a punch in gut.

Someone tried to kill me...