Wednesday, January 17 & Thursday, January 18

Start from the beginning

I stared at Jared. My eyes dancing between his. His concern for Levi made me love him even more but I also knew Levi. It might be hard for him but most things that end up helping you heal are.

"I think he's stronger than any of us realize he is." I finally said. "Even him."

----------------

LEVI POV

"I've been meaning to ask you." Greg said, sliding into the desk beside me. "Where'd you go Monday?"

"I went to see Maci." I said, looking over the study guide in front of me.

We had a test today and I wasn't feeling very prepared. My mind had been focused on everything but school lately and I couldn't get it back on track.

"Was she okay?" Greg asked.

"Mhm." I answered only half listening to him.

I was pulling mostly C's in my classes. No one was really yelling at me, my parents included, because of everything happening with Maci. The few conversations I had overheard basically consisted of the same decision; once Maci was better I was going to have to bring my grades up. Until then I could just kinda float along as long as I wasn't failing.

"Levi, hello?" Greg said, catching my attention again.

"Huh what?" I glanced at him then back at the study guide.

"I said why'd you skip school then." He repeated.

"I went with Jared." Greg scoffed at me, which caused me to give him my full attention. "What?"

"You took Jared to see Maci?" He raised his eyebrows at me, his mouth drawn in a hard line. "I'll believe that when I see it."

"Okay." I said skeptically. "I did, you can ask him."

"Yeah, I'll get right on that." He snapped.

I dropped the pen in my hand, staring at him.

"Is something up? Did I do something? Are you pissed at me?" I rattled off the questions. "If you have a problem just say it."

"Were you with Jackie?" He asked.

His voice cold, all the muscles in his jaw and neck clenched.

"No. I told you I was with Jared." I repeated.

"Then why did she skip school Monday?"

"I have no idea, ask her." I said. "I was with Jared."

I knew Greg sort of had a right not to trust me. And Jackie and I both skipping Monday partway through the school day was a very unfortunate coincidence, but I had no clue why. I wasn't going to find out either.

"I just find it hard to believe you both skipped separately."

I shrugged, irritation slipping into my veins causing me to tense. "Don't know what to tell you. I don't talk to Jackie anymore."

As soon as I said the words, I felt myself break out in a sweat. I was lying. But in my defense I had told her to get lost when she showed up at my door.

"So what you guys are friends now?" Greg asked.

"Does it matter?" I asked.

I ran my hand over my head. Greg shrugged, he was still pissed looking. I blew out a sigh, trying to calm myself just slightly.

"Listen I know I screwed up big, but you're the one that said you'd look past it. I swear I have had nothing to do the Jackie at all. If you can't believe me that's on you. I'm not going to rely my life or what I do every second of the day to you." My calming breath did little to hide my annoyance.

"I just find it hard to believe you aren't still seeing her behind my back." Greg snapped.

"I'm not." I barked back. "I told you it was done."

He laughed through his nose, shaking his head as he looked away. I was pissed he wouldn't believe me.

"Whatever, don't believe me." I growled, turning back to my study guide a scowl on my face.

Greg didn't say anything else and neither did I.

                         --------------

Well, guys, I think this story is close to wrapping itself up. I don't have an exact count on chapters but we are nearing the end. Originally going to end this with the speech as the final chapter, which would mean only two chapters left. But I'm not doing that. Just know it's coming and it's coming soon. Crazy to think huh? Anyway, ENJOY! - DBR