t h r e e

Colby's POV

i bury my head into my pillow in frustration as the sound of the alarm from my phone filled the room. i hesitantly got off my bed and dragged myself to the bathroom to prepare for the day, i wore something a little more formal since i was going to an interview. yes i finally decided to find a job, hopefully to be able to help my family.

still barely awake, i stumbled into the kitchen tripping on my brother's toys that were laying around on the floor on the way. my mother looks at me from the kitchen counter confused as to why i was awake so early.

" good morning colby, why are you up so early and why are dressed like that? " my mother questioned as she points at the button up shirt i was wearing with a weird look on her face.

i laugh lightly and answered her, " i'm about to go for an interview mom ! " excitement filling my voice as pour myself a glass of water.

her blue eyes sparked with excitement as she reached her arm out to ruffle with my hair before continuing, " well you should go ! don't want to be late do you? " she said as she quickly pushed me out of the house.

" see you later mom! " i said, laughing lightly as i pulled her into a tight hug.

i got into my car and drove to the cinema, the butterflies in my stomach getting heavier as i got nearer. after parking my car, i trudge up the stairs leading to the office of the cinema before quickly adjusting my outfit to make sure i look presentable for the interview and then proceed to knock on the door a few times. i let out a nervous sigh as i waited for the door to open, as if on cue, the door swung open to reveal a middle-aged man with a beard who shot me a friendly smile.

" you're colby? " he asks before scanning my outfit leaving me to question if wearing a button up shirt was even a good idea.

" y-yea i'm bro- wait no i'm col- colby brock! " i stammered receiving a smirk by him.

" cool, colby. i'm elton, i kind of manage this place and i'm honestly not that scary, gotta chill if you're actually going to work here. " elton said with an eyebrow raised and his smirk getting bigger before giving me a light punch on my shoulder. i let out a breathy awkward laugh and followed him into the office.

thirty minutes later

" congratulations kid you can start working here on wednesday! " elton said with barely any emotions in his voice as if he said it a thousand times before. he handed me my uniform and a name tag printed :

' colby brock
cashier '

the job was not very high paying but it felt good knowing that the money i was earning would be able to help my mother and that i had something to finally do during my free time now.

" thank you for this, elton. " i said with sincere in my voice and giving him a slight bow.

he chuckled lightly and pushed me out of the office, " go on kid, i'm not that free. " he replied with zero seriousness in his voice.

i walked out of the building with a wide smile printed on my face as i thought about the reaction i would receive from my mother when she knew that i got a job.

i honestly write like a ten year old lol