Chapter 5

Angela's P.O.V

   I look up Ben Walker in the Yellow Pages and write his number down on a piece of paper and stick it in my jeans pocket. I jump on my bike and ride past the school and into a neighborhood full of trees everywhere I looked. "Geez, nice place", I said to myself when I came across a home (more like a mansion) that had 4 stories, a 3-door garage, a solid gold gate to the driveway, which was probably a mile long, and a bush trimmed to a family portrait of his family right in the middle of the front lawn. I drove up to the speaker at the side of the gate and pushed the buzzer. "Walker's residence, Margaret speaking", a woman said. "I'm here for Ben", I said into the tiny microphone. "Oh, Angela, Ben has been expecting you, come on in.", she said as the gate glided open. I pedaled up to the garage with all the bikes in it, and put my lock on it. Ben is waiting for me, leaning against the door. "Hey, angel face, how's it going?", Ben asks. "It's Angela, Ben, and why am I here?", I reply annoyed. "I'll explain in a minute, but first my mom bought peanut butter cookies and Monster" "Okay...", I say as I walk through the kitchen. I could barely see the ceiling because it was so far up. I follow Ben to the elevator and he pushes the third floor button. "I never knew you lived here", I said. "No one does, I try to keep it a secret so people don't bother me about it.", Ben says looking out the window down onto the ground below. "Oh...", I looked over my shoulder and tried to get off the subject. "Well, here we are", he said as the door opened and opened up to a man holding a plate of cookies and two cans of Monster Energy. "Mister Ben, here are your refreshments, green can for you and purple for the lady.", he said as I took my can and a cookie. "Thank you Roger, please leave the tray on the windowsill", Ben ordered. Roger walked over and moved some kind of game system out of the way. "What is that?", I asked pointing at the console. "That's the square 420, I just got it last week." "Wait, what? I thought that wasn't supposed to come out until next year." "Well, my dad's friend's, cousin is Steve Joes, so we get to sample products.", Ben said. "Wow, so anyway what was with the mysterious note and the bracelet hanging on my doorknob", I questioned. "Well it all started back a couple years ago, when I came to the school. I saw your grandma drop you off and I recognized you right away. You guys must have been Tarnies", Ben explained. "What the hell is a Tarny?", I asked. "It dates back a couple hundred years when twelve-year-old Samantha Tarny fell into a vad of toxic waste and she started mutating. A couple years after that she married and had two kids, but she never told her husband about her incident. He started asking questions but she couldn't tell him the truth becuase she was afraid he would turn him in. So she ended up killing herself, and the kids grew up with powers and abilities." "Wow, so what does that have to do with me", I asked. "Hold on a sec, I'm getting there. My mother used to show me picture albums of the generations that would pass by and their kids would end up having the same powers and abilities. And I recognized your grandmother because she is the daughter of Sam's great-great-great grandaughter. But one thing I  could not figure out is why you have the bracelet, and not your mother.", Ben said. "Well, my grandma gave it to me for my birthday, and she said that my mom didn't want to give it to me", I said.  "Does your mom have any brothers?", Ben asked taking a glug of monster. "Not that I know of, why?", Angela said. "Oh my god!", Ben exclaimed doing a spit take. "What?" "Back then, families would time, there was always this weird glitch, it sometimes didn't pass onto the next generation, but the NEXT. It must have happened with your family." "So my mom wasn't given the powers, they just passed right over her. Well that explains why she didn't give me the...wait, that still doesn't explain how you got the bracelet?", I said. "Your grandma gave it to me the other day and told me to give it to you when I thought it was right". "How can you recognize a Tarny?", Angela asked as she took a bite out of a cookie. "If they are wearing the bracelet, or if they have the imprint of the bracelet on their wrist like you did the other day. If someone doesn't wear the bracelet, the imprint will be permanent. Guys sometimes don't like to wear the bracelet so we wear it as an anklet, like mine", he said as he lifted his pant leg showing the same bracelet around his ankle. "Wow, this is just so much to know. I never realized I was part of a big culture like this", I said sitting down on the bed. "Yeah, and you thought you had weird side effects the last few days, just wait", Ben said grinning.