Chapter One: Promise? ✔️

Start from the beginning

He started to clamber out, grunting and groaning, and sat on the ledge of the box's doors as he caught his breath and looked into the box.

Eyes widening, he whistled. "Whoa. Look at that."

"Are you okay?" Amelia – the older sister – asked uncertainty and somewhat dubiously. Her sister, who had fully hidden herself behind her when the man appeared, shyly peeked out from her sisters back.

The man shook his head – like he was clearing it of cobwebs – and grinned re-ashur-ingly at the two girls.

He looked a little crazy.

"Just had a fall. All the way down there, right to the library," he blew out an ex-ag-gerated breath. "Hell of a climb back up."

Amelia started at him sceptically.

"You're soaking wet."

He started rolling up his sleeves. "I was in the swimming pool."

"You said you were in the library," Amelia accused with a frown.

"So was the swimming pool."

Amelia rolled her eyes, but the younger sister tugged on her coat and whispered something in her ear. Dutifully, Amelia repeated it to the man.

"Are you a policeman?"

The man stopped fiddling with his sleeves and leaned forward from his perch, squinting suspiciously. "Why? Did you call a policeman?"

Amelia ignored his question.

"Did you come about the crack in my sister's wall?"

The younger girl flinched, and tugged more insistently on her sister's coat, whispering a distressed "Amelia!" as she attempted to hide even further behind her. The man hadn't said he was police, and she didn't want anyone who wasn't a trained pro-fe-shon-al to deal with the voices and the crack.

They could get hurt.

"What cra-aah ah!" the man cut himself off with a shout of pain, falling to the ground and clutching at his chest. "Agh!"

Amelia frowned down at the man in concern and her sister winced, sympathetically rubbing at her own chest. "Are you all right, mister?" Amelia asked.

The man waved away her worry, voice straining. "No, I'm fine. It's okay. This is all perfectly norm-" He cut off again, coughing and exhaling a breath of swirling, golden particles. It seemed it float in the air, slowly dispersing as it rose higher and higher.

It was mes-mer-i-sing.

"Who are you?" the younger girl whispered, finally speaking up. The man looked at her, bringing his hands up for inspection.

They started to glow with the same, golden particles. "I don't know yet," he said in a soft, excited voice. "I'm still cooking."

Amelia screwed up her face in confusion, but the wonder on his face and in his voice drew her little sister out from hiding her a little more.

"Does it scare you?" the man asked earnestly, still inspecting his hands.

"No," Amelia said in an obvious tone, "it just looks a bit weird."

Her sister once again whispered her name as a reprimand, but the man only smiled and clarified, eyes searching their faces for the answer. "No, no, no. The crack in the wall. Does it scare you?"

Amelia frowned more heavily, and her sister froze.

"Not re-"

"-yes," the younger quietly interrupted. Her sister looked at her sharply, but the little girl didn't care. She was des-per-ate. "C...c-can you f...fix the voices?"