Chapter 16 | Beam at Me

Start from the beginning

"What's going on between the two of you?" I ask as I turn around to face her.

"Apart from us being at each other's throats all the time?"

"Yeah?"

"I don't know. We usually have prank wars."

"Something's definitely going on between you two." I mumble and take a swig of my coke.

~•~

When I reached home that evening, Freida had already ordered pizza for dinner. She'd even been considerate enough to order me one without tomatoes.

"How was your day?"

"My boss is grumpy."

"Say no more."

"How was yours?"

"The kids are great. The resources still suck. Same old." She shrugs. Freida looked over an orphanage where she took care of over forty kids without any sort of funding. She insisted that she was going to quit, but I knew she could never bring herself to do it.

"You're doing a great job." I say, patting the back of her hand.

"I wish I could do better."

"Just do your best, Freida. That's all that counts."

"You're great, Am. Just a tad weird." She beams at me.

I stare at her for a solid minute. I found it beautiful when people beamed at someone they loved. I'd seen mothers beam at their kids, and boyfriends beam at their girlfriends, I'd seen my mother beam at my sister as she came out of her first successful surgery, and I'm sure that I beamed at my toast as it popped out of the toaster.

You can't blame me!

But something about that look, filled with respect, love and happiness made it seem more than what any kiss, any hug could ever be.

If someone asked me the number of times someone had ever looked at me like that, I'd probably say thrice.

One, the look Freida's giving me right now.

Two, the owner of a small diner when I ate all of his pasta that he said would go bad if I didn't eat it all.

Three, Benjamin Earlswood on the plane, when I'd explained love to him.

"What is it? You look lost." Freida asks, checking my forehead for a fever.

"Not lost, Frey. Found." I murmur, dazed.

"What?"

"Nothing. I just need to make an urgent call, I'll see you tomorrow."

"Okay? Good night, I guess?"

I rush towards my room, banging the door behind me. I pick up my phone from where it's charging and dial the number quickly. She picks up on the seventh ring.

"Hey, Nectar. Didn't you once tell me that you can track anyone's number at any place over the world?" I babble hurriedly.

"Huh? Grim Reaper's here to take me?" She mumbles back.

"What? What time is it there?"

"It's a new day, a new life. I'm gonna live it all!"

"Nectar, I need your help! Now!" I shriek.

"Huh, what? Ambrosia? What is it?"

"Can. You. Track. Me. Someone's. Number?"

"Why are you acting like you're talking to a child?" She asks incredulously.

"Can you or can you not?"

"Of course, I can!"

"Great. Get me the number of Benjamin Earlswood. As soon as possible."

~•~

Yeah, it's 2 a.m. and I'm not asleep. Forgive the mistakes I'm sure I've made. Vote and comment!
Bye!

 Vote and comment!Bye!