Alice felt immediate silence as all eyes in the restaurant were transfixed on the television.

Alice smiled at his agitated patience as the detective turned to the reporter, looking her squarely in he eye.

"The FBI and our own local authorities have cleared the Thomas's and they are not persons of interest. Law enforcement are just as stunned as everyone else."

"So these children all just started showing up out of nowhere?" the reporter questioned in disbelief, trying to press the issue.

Detective Matthews shrugged his shoulders and simply replied, "Yes. That seems about right."

"I heard that you have involved several ministers and priests to help you consult on this. Do you think there is something supernatural about what is happening?"

The detective raised his eyebrows, and with a sarcastic grin, repeated, "Supernatural? No. Nothing like that." He paused, and again looked directly into the camera as if he were addressing Alice and Ben.

"Maybe something far more...spiritual than that."

"What do you mean by that?"

Alice watched as several more reporters crowded around Detective Matthews. He moved through the crowd of reporters towards his sedan, ignoring any other questions.

A reporter then panned out to a board with a pattern of photos of missing children from around the country. "It is suspected that many of these missing children might be here in Woodridge Lake."

Alice put her hand to her heart. The first photo was Haley. The reporter explained how these children were presumed dead, most of them had funerals. The reporter faced the cameras and suggested if anyone recognized any of these children or are related to them in any way, to please contact the listed FBI number posted below.

"Mommy, that's me.." Haley whispered, leaning against Alice.

Alice was suddenly aware of the tremendous silence in the room as the bartender looked at all four of them.

"That's one of the little girls," the bartender said, simply.

"We need to get home, Ben," she said tersely. "Now."

"Oh, I guess that means I'm in the doghouse again," Ben said wearily, pushing his glass away. Alice noticed that Joe was slowly moving the glass towards himself.

"You put yourself in that doghouse," she replied. She took Haley's hand and turned away.

Joe tipped his hand to Ben, acknowledging her words.

"The lady does have a point," he said.

Alice shot him a look over her shoulder as she walked towards the door, keeping Haley close to her. A woman and man stood in front of her, blocking her way.

"Isn't that the girl on TV?" the woman huffed. "What s she doing with you? Didn't the police take her from you?"

Alice ignored them as she pushed through the small group of people who had gathered.

"Mommy, why are they so mad?" Haley looked at all the people, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Someone should call the police.."

"Hey, hey....no need to do that."

Alice couldn't help but notice that Joe had swigged down the glass of bourbon, before joining them. He flashed a black folded wallet with a shiny gold badge.

All the Little Children Need to Come Homeजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें