Setting The Wolf Free - Ch 70

Start from the beginning

“Well if you’re so good” Hidan mocks, coming up on my right, “Then why aren’t we f*****g catching up to her?”

“Because you’re so slow” I bite back, turning my head to the right and casting Hidan an annoyed look. “If you weren’t here I’d have caught up by now!”

“Little bitch….” the silver haired man mutters in response, face contorting into an annoyed scowl.

I hold in an irritated sigh and focus my attention back on following our target’s footsteps, having to sense for her presence now that she’s completely out of sight.

About twenty minutes ago, we’d happened upon the Two Tails Jinchuuriki up in the mountains surrounding the Hidden Cloud Village and as soon as she saw our cloaks, she disappeared down into this cold, dank, horrible place. I think it’s an old sewer, though the water isn’t flowing very well, so I’ve no idea if it’s actually still in use….The walls are crumbling, and I’ve seen more than enough rats skulking along the concrete pathways down here. In short, it’s gross, it’s dark, there’s a weird smell and I can’t wait to get back out into the fresh air.

“Left here” I suddenly say, making a sharp left turn down yet another connecting tunnel. Kakuzu and Hidan follow me without question, with the purple eyed man reaching up to grab onto the hilt of his scythe.

Closing my eyes for a brief moment, I focus my attention on the Two Tailed Beast’s Jinchuuriki’s presence, her light footsteps so clear in my mind, she may as well be standing right in front of me on a sunny day.

“She’s just up ahead” I say lowly, reopening my eyes. “She’s run into a large cavern with a whole maze of connecting tunnels…..We better hurry up.”

“Heh, no matter” Hidan grins. “If she’s just up through that doorway there, I’ll hook her with this! Hyaaa!”

With a war cry that borders on psychotically enthusiastic, Hidan hefts his large scythe forwards at speed, the cable attached to the hilt screeching as it unravels rapidly.

“We’re not suppose to kill her yet Hidan….” Kakuzu sighs grouchily, no doubt shaking his head.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned since partnering up with Hidan and Kakuzu, it’s that they get on each other’s nerves…..All the time. It’s not like when I was around Tobi and Deidara, where Tobi’s childish antics annoyed the blonde, this is for real. I can sometimes feel how much Kakuzu wants to kill Hidan, and I’ve no doubt that he’s tried in the past, but the thing that annoys him the most, is that he physically can’t kill Hidan. I’m not entirely sure how it all works, but I do know that Hidan follows some strange god I’ve never heard of named Jashin, and somehow, through blood and sacrifices, he is able to maintain an immortal existence.

Kakuzu is basically an immortal as well. He won’t go into detail, mostly because I don’t think he likes me, but I know that the green eyed weirdo has numerous hearts inside his body. They were all stolen from elders of the Hidden Waterfall Village, a place I don’t think I’ve heard of before, but again, Kakuzu isn’t exactly the sharing type.

I’m very curious about the two of them, but I can see now why Kisame was calling them the Zombie Combo….

Following the steel cable of Hidan’s scythe, I sprint through the wide tunnel doorway and come to an abrupt halt, with the two other Akatsuki members pulling up on either side of me.

Looking straight ahead, I see the same tall, very pretty blonde woman we came across up on the surface. Her dark eyes are narrowed at us, and I see her shoulders rising and falling as she breathes heavily, no doubt a little tired from all of the running she was doing.