AFTERWORD

And so, there you have it. Gone Home. My experiment into probably the strangest, most unlikely game I've ever written a fan fiction for. (So far.)

I kind of novelized this game on a whim, back when I wasn't quite so overloaded with work, and although I wasn't too sure about the prologue, once I actually started writing it, I knew right away that it was the correct decision.

This has probably been the easiest thing I've written in years. By easy, I mean that I never had to make myself work on it, I never really struggled. Now, obviously, some of that has to do with the fact that it's a novelization. But not all of it. I've done straight novelizations before, and none of them have ever gone this easily.

I waffled briefly on whether or not I should even try novelizing Gone Home, because the fact that the protagonist was a woman college student made me nervous. I'm not too keen on my abilities to create good characters, and even less so on my ability to create good female characters. But I decided to give it a shot anyway, and hopefully I didn't butcher it in my attempt.

I did the best I could, honestly going by instinct more than anything else than I do on any of my other works. I had no plans beyond literally playing the game and writing down what I thought and saw. I obviously tried to work it into a semi-coherent narrative, but what you read was largely me stumbling around in the dark, assembling something and hoping that it looks anything like what it's supposed to when I turned the lights on.

That's about all I really have to say on the story. I hope you enjoyed it, and if you have any questions, leave them in the comments and I'll gladly respond.

-Sean