Chapter 40

On December 6th, some good news finally made the headlines: the updated version of Asylum was being released to the Canadian public, and the coverage of the heavily defended convoy carrying vaccines from Pearson, where they arrived, to the Toronto Board of Health was on every news channel. From the Board of Health, over the next several days, it was distributed out to vaccination centers across the GTA, mainly community centers.

December 9th was the day it was available. Special protocols were put in place to lift the 24 hour containment so people could get vaxed. BDU, BIOTRANS, and police were all out with a fine-toothed comb on the streets. My family and I drove to a community center a few minutes northeast of us.

We arrived to a line up stretching out of the building, out next to a runners' track into the adjacent park which they allowed the use of for overflow parking. Clean up crews with flatbeds and crane trucks worked at getting rid of the burned and blasted shells of some cars. Despite the light snow falling from the gray skies, and the frigid winds howling, making exposed skin raw and sore, it was freeing to be outside. Standing in line, just being out of the house and around other people felt refreshing and comforting. As I looked around, I could see others weren't too bothered either about standing in line.

Soldiers patrolled with dogs and stood at turrets on Humvees as the line slowly progressed towards the heavily guarded front door, complete with weapons inspectors and X-ray machines. By the time we were in, the full scope of the demand for the vaccine was apparent. The line ringed in a tightening spiral from the walls towards a main desk where officials sat in front of tablets. Once a vax administrator had injected someone, they sent the patient off then pressed a button on a tablet of their own and the people at the desk sent the next person over. Soldiers and other authority officers stood at the ready, wading through the see of frail and damaged souls.

It had been an hour by the time we reached the front. We were split up and sent to different administrators, but we weren't far from each other. I sat down on stool as others came and went, those leaving feeling the spot where the needle had entered.

“Health card please,” the administrator said, a South Asian woman.

I handed it to her and she scanned the back. My information popped up on her tablet.

“Well, Alistair,” she said, “you're well up-to-date. Good for you. Now, roll up your sleeve please.”

I did so and she dabbed, with a cotton pad, disinfectant on the site where the needle was to be inserted, halfway between my elbow and my shoulder.

“Relax your arm,” she said.

I did, but still felt the sharp pinch of the needle penetrating my skin. In five seconds, the needle was out and it was all done.

“Thanks,” I said, rubbing the spot.

She smiled and nodded, then tapped her tablet. I was sent off and someone new was directed over.

My family and I met at the doors and then went to the car. We piled in as the hourly news came on.

“Critics and public alike are pleased,” the male voice on the radio said, “as a new batch of vaccine is now available to be administered in the GTA and across Canada. The public is highly encouraged to get their meningitis shot as soon as possible. Demand is very high for the shot, as many analysts expected, as well as new Asylum First Response shots are to be available at pharmacies and stores across Canada starting tomorrow, the same day the new public vaccine is expected to be released across the U.S., the Asylum First Response coming Wednesday. In response to the releases, Rexall stock climbed 15% at the opening bell this morning. Many hope that a freshly vaxed public will mean lock-downs will cease. The relaxed lock-down protocol as of right now is expected to last until further notice to facilitate the steep demand.”