Chapter 2 - New School, New Life

Kaylee Robinson

Life is not simple. It never is. And I have come to learn that over night. 

During dinner at Ella's place last night, my mom had asked them so many favors. Like she literally would not shut up about it. Then she said, "Oh Ella dear, can you please show my sweet daughter around at school tomorrow?" 

Apparently, that was it for Cody to mutter, "Um yeah what the hell else do you think we're gonna do?" My mom was pissed after she heard that comment. And after Ella and I burst out laughing at his comment, she decided that I would not have a sleepover with them. 

But then, Ella later helped me sneak into her bedroom and we watched chick flicks and re-runs of "I Love Lucy" all night long. I was such a fun experiance.

Now, after Ella picked my clothes for school, I was eating breakfast in the kitchen while mom was talking about how much she didn't like Cody.

"I'm so serious, Kaylee. He is the rudest person I've ever met!" she exclaimed. I raised my eyebrows at her. 

"Why are you still talking about this? I thought the half-hour long lecture you gave me last night was enough?" I asked her, smirking. She looked back at me before throwing a granola bar at my face.

"There, that's for lunch. Don't eat the cafeteria food unless it's pizza, alright?" She asked me, worriedly. I rolled my eyes.

"I know, mum. I know all my 'school rules'. Now, I need to go. Ella should be waiting for me outside. Okay?" I say while picking up my rather heavy backpack. Who knew so many things were needed for school here?

"I know, I know. I just want my baby to be safe. Anyways, you go on. Have fun, alright?" My mom says while puching me out the door. I chuckled.

"Love you, mum. Bye!" I said while running to Ella's car.

"Wow... you look so pretty!" She tells me smiling. I laughed.

"Yeah, thanks to you!" I say, chuckling. Noticed how I'm chuckling a lot these days? 

"Yeah yeah, now let's go. I need to pick up Cody from the grocery store and then we ne-"

"The grocery store?" I asked, interrupting her. She nodded. "He needs chocolate." She says. I laugh.

*** *** ***

When I had entered the school, I felt like I had entered a musical. 

A girl was standing on top of the stairs, tapping her feet as the music to the song started. I looked over to Ella who was smirking at Cody, who was smiling. I smiled to myself.

"This is just a preview of their actual performance in the big dance competition this weekend. They do this so that normal students like us can see and vote for them." Ella whispered to me, giving me a suitable explanation and leaving me to watch the "preview".

"Hey nana hey nana

Hey nana hey nana

Hey nana hey nana

Hey nana hey hey

Hey nana hey nana

Hey nana hey nana

Hey nana hey nana

Hey nana hey hey

Your eyes are like a blue sky, blue sky, blue

You're floating in the fountain, in the fountain of youth

I bet you have an ocean, secret little potion