Chapter Ten

*two years later*

The twelve year old boy with dark hair walked from the forest, a faint smile on his face. His favorite days were always the days he could visit the forest, and his best friend. They had been friends for four years now. Nothing much for him had happened the past two years, he finished his reading classes, that was about it. Little Wolf had accomplished much the past two years.

She had exceled in her hunting training, quickly learning and mastering the skills she was taught. By the time she was full grown, she would be a hunting master. Jack just knew she would.

Jack was yet to of begin school to learn how to sword fight and protect the kingdom. He figured he would be a guard, or something along those lines, as he enjoyed helping people.

He made his way through the market, politely returning people's greetings and avoiding the merchants who were trying to sell what they claimed was 'priceless' and 'rare.'

Eventually he made his way back to the castle, passing by the guards, who naturally knew who he was. Who did not know who he was? He was the famous hunter, Raolin Grosvenor's son Jack Grosvenor. He walked through the courtyard and entered the castle, heading towards his room, but was stopped by a voice.

"Jack, come here a moment." He turned to see his father of all people. His father was often busy, with paper work, meetings with the king, and commanding his group of hunters, so Jack did not see him much.

"Yes father? What is it?" Jack asked once he stood a few feet from his father. He and his father were not like normal fathers and sons, they were distant from each other. His father had his work, so he never had time for Jack. Not that he minded never being with his father.

"I wish to inform you that you leave to begin your training tomorrow. So get packed, you leave at nine tomorrow morning." Leave? Leave to where? Why had his father not warned him earlier.

"Why are you telling me this now? Why not earlier?" Jack voiced his thoughts, truly he was beginning to panic. How far would he be going? Would he still be able to see Little Wolf and his mother?

His father turned, as he had been about to walk away. Raolin was a bit surprised for his son to talk back, normally he would merely agree and leave.

"I found no reason to Jack. You pack tonight and if necessary tomorrow. I left time to say goodbye to your mother just before you go. You do not need weeks to prepare to leave."

"Training for what? Where am I going?" Jack asked, struggling not to panic. He did not want to leave.

"You are going to train to be a hunter like your father, Jack." Raolin turned and walked away, not allowing Jack to ask another question.

Jack stood there in the hallway for who knows how long. Slowly he made his way back to his room and sat on his bed, staring at the mirror on his dresser. He would be leaving at nine tomorrow morning. There was no time to visit Little Wolf today, he already had visited her today. He also would not have time tomorrow. Jack would not be able to tell her he was leaving. He would not get to say goodbye. He would just, leave. Without a single word, he would leave. She would have no idea why he left. She would think he had abandoned her.

It hurt to think about it. She would hate him. He had left her without a goodbye, without a reason why. She would hate him after tomorrow. This though echoed in his head, and it hurt. It hurt so much to know she would hate him. It hurt so much to know he would have to leave her.

"I'm sorry Little Wolf, I'm so sorry. Please forgive me. Forgive me for abandoning you, I had no choice." He knew she could not hear his words, but it still relieved him a bit to say it anyways. It hurt though. It hurt so much.

"Be safe okay? And do not get into trouble. And made sure to get enough!"

"I know mom, I know. Stop worrying so much." Jack's mother was clearly worried about him leaving. He was her only son. She was continuously fretted about him, making sure he would be safe and what not. She pulled away from what was likely the millionth hug.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I'm just worried for you. Motherly instincts. Be safe and have fun, okay?"

Jack nodded. "Okay mom. I will." His mother took a few steps back, smiling proudly at him.

"I'm proud of you Jack. I love you." Jack smiled at his mother.

"Love you too mom." His mother waved, wiping a tear from her eyes with her other hand. Slowly Jack turning to his father.

"Let's go." Raolin said, turning and walking towards the carriage. Jack's gaze flickered to the forest, and the familiar pain from last night returned. If only he could say goodbye to her, that was all he wanted.

Fire-Flower slowly walked into the small clearing where her and Jack often met up. She had been visiting the clearing for the past week, yet he had never shown up. She figured he was busy, but she could not help but to worry about him. It was rare for them to not see each other at least once every few days, so not seeing each other for a week was uncommon.

Silently she sat on the tree stump he would always sit on. She stared up at the sky, trying to make out shapes in the clouds. She was unsure of where Jack had gone, or what he was busy with. Had he said anything about not being able to visit for the next week? She did not think so. Jack had not said anything last time she saw him.

Fire-Flower continued to worry. Perhaps he or someone in his family was sick. He would turn up soon. Fire-Flower continued to return to the same spot everyday, waiting for him to appear and call out the nick name he had given her the day they met those four years ago.

But he never came, not once. Days become weeks, weeks became months, and months soon became years, yet he still never came.