Chapter Two

His eyes slowly flickered open. Slowly he sat up, using his hands to prop himself up. He climbed out of the bed and stretched, yawning as he did. The young boy scratched his head and headed towards the wooden dresser. Slowly he pulled open a drawer, blinking away sleep from his eyes as he did. He pulled out an outfit: a green tunic and faded leather pants. The young boy quickly changed into the clothes, deciding that he wound bathe later.

Carefully the young boy pushed open the wooden door. He stepped into the hallway and quickly tip-toed down it, hoping he would not wake up anyone.

Wooden doors similar to his lines the hallway. All of them were closed and he did not dare open one, fearful of being punished by whoever was inside. He continued down the hall, his eyes staring down at the stone ground. Occasionally a guard would pass by, but neither spoke. The guard knew who the child was. Many knew who the child was.

He was Jack Grosvenor, Raolin Grosvenor's son. Raolin Grosvenor was the most famous hunter of all the land. He is said to of slain the largest mountain cats, the fiercest forest boars, and the most vicious of terror wolves. Since Raolin Grosvenor was well known, his son was just as famous. Many believed Grosvenor's son would grow to be even more powerful than his father. Jack himself did not understand it all very well, so he did not bother with it. He figured that he would understand everything once he was older.

Silently he crept towards the large wooden doors. He could faintly hear voices behind the door, and he recognized one of them as his father's. Slowly he pushed open the door and peaked his head in. His father sat beside the King, both were talking in hushed voices, the words unheard by Jack.

"Father?" Jack called, hoping that he would not be punished for interrupting his father and the King. Both of the men's attention were shifted from their conversation to the boy. Their speaking ceased. To anyone, it could seem suspicious, but to a young boy who knew little about the world, he did not think one thing about it.

"What is it, Jack?" Raolin called, hoping the King would not mind his son interrupting their conversation.

"Is there anything you need for me to do, or may I go to the marketplace?" His father sighed, appearing to be annoyed. Raolin had been interrupted from an important conversation just for his son to ask if he could go to the marketplace?

"I do not care what you do Jack. Just do not get into any trouble." Jack's eyes brightened at the fact that he was allowed to go to the marketplace.

"Thank you father! I won't get into any trouble! Sorry for interrupting you, your majesty." Jack bowed to the King then quickly fled the room, hoping his father would not be anger at him later.

The dark haired boy happily bounded about the marketplace, looking at all the different stalls. He made sure not to crash into anyone and replied politely to everyone's greetings. He quietly wandered up to a stall, wondering what it held. Stacks of books and scrolls were nearly scattered about, written in a dark colored ink.

"Are you interested in any of books young boy? There are many tales written and recorded in these books. Stories of dragons, unicorns, witches, stories of princesses rescued by knights in shining armor and the tales of the fierce terror wolves who lurk in the darkest parts of the forest." Jack looked at the arrangement of books and scroll, interested. He reached a hand into his pocket of his faded leather pants and pulled out the five golden coins. The merchant's eyes lit up at the sight of the shining coins.

"Which one shall it be my boy?" Jack looked at the brightly painted leather covers of the books. Fierce scaly beasts with huge wings and the most beautiful women with the most luxurious gowns, Knights in shining armor and wolves up to four times the size of a normal wolf.

"I will take--" he paused, his eyes flickering over the many books. There truly were just to many to choose, but  Jack knew he should only buy one. It would be wise to save most of his money for when he was older.

"One about dragons." He decided, looking up at the merchant. The merchant nodded and choose a book that he figured would entertain the young boy. Jack handed the merchant a single golden coin and took the book from his hands. He happily looked at the cover. A huge orange dragon was breathing flames into the sky, and a knight stood on the ground below with a sword in hand, charging towards the dragon on horseback.

"Thank you sir!" Happily he turned and bounded away, his eyes never once leaving the colorful cover.

Jack lifted up his hand, knocking on the wooden door. The house was painted a dull white and had a thatched roof. He did not peer into the glass windows, as he remembered that it would be rude to. A few moments passed then the door opened. A woman with dark hair similar to his but with grey streaks opened the door. Her eyes widened in surprise to see the boy, who was clutching a book close to his chest.

"Mother!" He said cheerfully, wrapping his arms around her and trying to keep the book from falling. She slowly wrapped her arms around the boy.

"What are you doing here Jack? Does your father not have a job for you to do?"

"He let me go to the marketplace, and I got this book! I can not read read it yet though. I have not learned much about reading or writing yet." The woman sighed, looking down at her son. He reminded her so much of his father. Jack's parents were no longer together, as his father was focused more on hunting than on his own wife.

"Very well, come inside and I will read it to you." Jack happily walked into the house, his mother following him inside.