chapter nine

[ unedited guys,, sorry! its 5am and i havent slept a wink since noon yesterday so please excuse any typos ]

burn the bridges burn them down, down, down, down, down

Michael hasn't talked to Luke in weeks. He avoids him altogether. There hasn't been anymore scenes on stage, luckily, but its beginning to clear up that the couple (were they even a couple anymore) were having issues. Fans were tweeting, headlines were arising, and people were growing skeptical and started to over-observe the two of them when the group was together. It felt like a magnifying glass was set on the two of them, and Luke was burning.

Okay, maybe he wasn't burning as in fire and heat blisters, but his nose certainly was burning as he wiped the white from his face. He scrolled through tweets and online articles, finding people who were documenting their every flaw and using it conclude that yeah, Muke is breaking up. Their relationship is ending in a pile of flames.

He rolled his eyes, slamming his laptop shut and then looking at his kitchen counter. How is it fair that they can't even fall apart in peace? Most relationships fail, why is it such a big deal that their's didn't work out? His relationships never work out.

He sat down on his couch and then looked at Petunia, who was biting and playing with an old toy. He turned away, feeling unworthy to be caring for a pet while in the condition he's in. How could he not? He's falling apart and tearing at the seams.

He ran a hand through his hair and then picked his phone up, immediately dialing his best friend's number. He waited a second, his eyes trained to the floor, but instead of Calum's deep voice, he got another. One that made his heart twist and turn.

"Luke?"

"Michael?" He asked and felt his body temperature drop. He felt cold, his limbs frozen and his words jumbled in his throat.

"What uh what do you need?"

"Where's Calum?" He asked, his tears filling with tears as he covered his mouth. "Is Calum there?"

"He's... out. He went to hang out with Nia. I'm watching Duke." Michael told him and Luke's throat was tightening as his mood came crashing even further down.

He's supposed to be happy. Where's the high he paid for?

He hesitated, but then looked up at his dog. "Can you... Can you watch Petunia?" He asked quietly, his voice shaking as he felt a tear fall.

"Can you drop her off?"

"I c-can't... I shouldn't drive right now." He mumbled, feeling ashamed of himself. He wiped his tear with his sleeve and then sniffled. "Pick her up, please."

"What did you do?"

"Just... you can leave right after. I - I don't care. Just take Tunia. I'm not..." He didn't finish his sentence. "Please."

He hung up and then fell back against his couch, looking at his princess as she played happily with her toys. He shouldn't have her. He should have let Arzaylea take her, but no, he's stubborn and self-centered.

He hates himself more than ever at this point.

-

When Michael arrived, Luke was watching cartoons and laughing at it. "You still have your keys?" Luke asked and Michael let them dangle from his fingertips.