CHAPTER THREE: SCANDALOUS

FRANCE, SOMETIME IN THE SEVENTEENTH CENTURY

"Sister."

Ingrid's head snapped up to meet her eldest brother's stoic expression. (Well, his only expression. Ingrid hadn't seen Elijah show any other hint of emotion since they left England.) Perhaps it was his lover that Niklaus killed. She couldn't quite remember the name, but usually when Nik did something dastardly, it wasn't necessarily beneficial to bring it up with her siblings.

Especially on the topic of lovers.

"They say you've been lurking around the city." Elijah glided with preternatural grace to the chaise lounge and sat, slowly, like a predator surveying its prey. "Meeting with people." Ingrid narrowed her eyes. She wasn't stupid. She heard the warning in his tone, the underlying meaning.

Niklaus will dagger you if he hears even a whisper of betrayal.

Ingrid straightened, tucking a piece of stray hair behind her ear. "I don't know what you're talking about," she said, the lie flowing from her lips like water. Elijah raised an eyebrow. "Really? Perhaps you can explain this then."

Reaching into his pocket, Elijah pulled out a folded, crumpled up, piece of parchment. Ingrid's eyes widened. Instinctively she blurted out, "Oh, Elijah, please! You can't tell Niklaus!"

Her elder brother frowned, his eyebrows furrowed. "So, you are conspiring against him. I suspected as much. You do realize, dearest Ingrid, if I do tell Niklaus that you are having secret rendezvous with Katerina Petrova, of all people." He gave a slight wave of his hand, indicating how incredibly stupid he thought the idea of it was. "He will dagger you. However, if I don't and he finds out, we'll both be thrown into a coffin. So, which will it be, sister? Both are inevitable, and you can only choose one."

Ingrid shook her head. "He won't find out out," she said simply, biting her lip. Elijah shook his head incredulously. "That's it then? You're signing both of our death warrants?" Throwing the paper onto the ground, Elijah said, so softly, if she didn't have supernatural hearing, she wouldn't have heard, "I hope this decision weighs heavily on your conscience, sister. He will have both our heads."

Ingrid sat down on the couch that Elijah had once occupied and wrung her hands together.

What have I done?

.....

"Katerina, are you sure? I know you are angry, but whatever you have planned may not be worth it. This could cost you your life."

Katerina glanced at her sharply. "It's Katherine now, and what I have planned is really none of your business. You agreed to help me, no questions asked." Ingrid sighed and chewed on her lower lip. "Katerin-Katherine, my brother is ruthless and relentless in his pursuit of revenge, as you've experienced firsthand. Perhaps it's time to..?"

Katerina explodes then, her anger bubbling to the surface like a volcano finally erupting. Slamming Ingrid against the wall, she nearly shouted, "What, Ingrid? Run again? Let it go? I can't. I won't run anymore. You expect everything to just...right itself in the end. Well, guess what? This is the real world. I have to fix my problems myself. "

Ingrid fought to keep her tears at bay, but she would not be made a fool of. Reversing their positions, she now held Katerina flush the wall. Quickly, Ingrid tore the leg from a chair sitting nearby. She shoved the makeshift stake into the younger vanpire's abdomen, making sure to avoid the heart.

Katerina grunted in pain. "Lest you forgot who I am. This was merely a warning, Katerina."

Whirling away quickly, Ingrid wiped at the water spilling form her eyes hurriedly. She usually wasn't so bloodthirsty.

Katerina Petrova was a pain in the ass.

woot!! i am aware this was sort of a filler, but the juicy stuff will come soon ;))). i tried to emphasize how unhealthy ingrid's relationship with klaus is, even kat & her have a sort of one sided relationship. God, my girl Ingrid is surrounded by toxic people. someone should give her a break tbh ;). + did you like the Elijah/ Ingrid moment there ?